Junk or Treasure?

Smoker113

I'm looking for a little help from the older guys here!

I look after DCS (TDC2000/3000& PLCs (Quantums & SLC5002)as part of my day job and have been roped into helping improve the quality of the local tech colleges automation classes.

I've set up their fixed & modular SLC500's onto a mixed network so they can teach comms, data transfer etc.
I got the key to the 'storage area' so I could find the oddments I was missing to finish up, and discovered a few items that may (or may not) be of use.
This stuff is wayyy before my time so I was hoping for a little help in figuring out what I could and couldnt use or what could be upgraded to make it usable.

There are:

3x PLC2, one labellled as a 'micro' - are the chassis & I/O compatible with a PLC5 processor?

1 x PLC4 - I didnt even know these even existed!

1 x Gould/Modicon Model 84 PLC ( 984 is about as old as I go - would modsoft talk to this thing?)

2x AB Industrial Programming Terminals - Are these any use or should we stick to Linx/Logix?

1x PanelView 1200 - Model 2711-TC1 - I cant find this model in PanelBuilder :0( any help in setting this up would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mostly junk, some treasure!

3x PLC2, one labellled as a 'micro' - are the chassis & I/O compatible with a PLC5 processor?
PLC5 uses the 1771 I/O as did the whole PLC2 family. Trouble you will have is finding software to program the 2's. Unless you want to use one of the industrial terminals you mentioned below.

1 x PLC4 - I didnt even know these even existed!
Forget this thing, makes good paperweight! This was one of AB's early attempts at a mini PLC, but they have forgotten them and so should we.

1 x Gould/Modicon Model 84 PLC ( 984 is about as old as I go - would modsoft talk to this thing?)
WOW, a micro 84! But, about like the PLC4, only more successful. You have to have the handheld terminal to program this little gem, so unless you want to be really retro, just junk it.

2x AB Industrial Programming Terminals - Are these any use or should we stick to Linx/Logix?
Good boat anchors unless you want to program a PLC2!

1x PanelView 1200 - Model 2711-TC1 - I cant find this model in PanelBuilder :0( any help in setting this up would be appreciated.
Well, probably still worth fooling with, especially for a tech school. Let them research the manual, data sheets and programming software and then, use the thing. I am sure there are several still in service.

Sell those PLC/2s on ebay. There are still a lot of people out there who need these as you cannot buy a new one. Same goes for the industrial programming termainals. Use the proceeds to grab up a CompactLogix or maybe add a few Micrlogixs to the training selection.

Last edited:
Also, old AB gear can be traded in with your distributor for a discount against upgrade equipment. Don't know if it counts for educational use though

From my so far limited experience of education use stuff the colleges do seem to get some major discounts from manufacturers.

Unfortunately the college cannot sell donated equipment (even if it was donated in 1856!) but I think they can probably work something out with a go-between.

I was hoping the PLC2 rack and I/O could be used with a PLC5 processor, as the only thing they are lacking is a full-size PLC in their set-up and this was what I was trying to achieve.

If it cant I'll see if we can sort out some sort of trade-in deal or maybe another site will exchange something.
It seems the PLC4 and Modicon 84 are only fit for paperweights or doorstops.
Shame as they come with cables/handhelds etc.

I only had a quick peek through the store room and this was the 'highlights'.
I'll have a closer look this week and see what other goodies they have, so maybe therell be a 'Junk or Treasure PartII'.

Thanks for the help so far.

Smoker113 said:
I was hoping the PLC2 rack and I/O could be used with a PLC5 processor, as the only thing they are lacking is a full-size PLC in their set-up and this was what I was trying to achieve.

The PLC2 uses the 1771 rack and IO so YES, it can be used with a PLC-5 processor.

Three PLC/2s for a PLC/5? Maybe you can find somene willing to oblige you for education. Good luck.

The 2711-TC1 was programmed with PanelBuilder 1200 software; both are obsolete. You can trade it in for a PanelView 1000e for a 20% discount (toward your account with your local AB rep, not an outright 20% discount or rebate) if you trade it in for one of the PV1000e "Step-Forward" hardware/software kits.

Arg ....

With it being an educational establishment, money is, unfortunately limited.
Can the Panelbuilder 1200 software still be obtained?

Seems a shame to waste the Panelview as its still brand new and sat in its box!

I could perhaps see what deal the local AB rep could do for us if this software is long extinct.

:0(

While the PV1200 is obsolete, apparently you can still purchase the software from AB. Two packages to choose from: 2711-ND1 (DOS) and 2711-ND1W (Windows). Both go for around $1,365.00.