RS View and internet explorer

jimtech67

[font=&quot]I am using RS View. I am trying to get internet explorer to open with a specific address (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/view/view.shtml). This address is a camera connected to our companies internal network. I am able to have internet explorer open with the click of a button. But I want to have internet explored open with a specific address without changing the home page address in the properties menu. Any suggestions ????

GO JETS
[/font]

Jim,

Put your address in the internet explorer address bar. Then when you are at that address add it to your favorites. Once it is in your favorites list you can right click on the icon and send it to your desktop of wherever you want. When you click on that icon it should start IE and go to the address you want.

Good luck

Glenn

Jim:

I am not a VBA expert by any means, but is it possible to write a script that opens IE and loads a specific page? This way, the information would be native to RSView.

Any VBA gurus out there who can tell me if this is possible, or am I just off my rocker here?

Rick

I am not sure this is what you want

You can create a "shortcut" using the URL, just right click desktop then select NEW then create shortcut then type in the URL on the command line, click next then name it.

Instead of using the appstart command to launch internet explorer as a seperate applicaiton try embedding a web browser as an active-X control on a RSView screen.

From the Objects menu pick ActiveX Control. Draw a rectangle on the screen the size of your desired display. From the popup box select Microsoft Web Brower. Now you have a browser engine embedded in the display - however its a basic display Active-X, not a full browser, there are no navigation buttons, address bar, or menus. Right click on the web broswer activeX and activate the Active X property panel. Rename the control to somethinging germane to your project. Now you are going to have to use a method call to get the web page to display. First off, draw a button on the screen. Under Action, Select the Command radio button, then enter the following as the release command for that button: Invoke DisplayName.WebControlName.Navigate2(URLSTRING,0,0,0,0) - substituing your dispaly name for DisplayName and whatever you named the browser axtiveX for WebControlName. Now create a string tag and call it URLSTRING and enter the URL address you want to use as its initial value.

Now test the screen and click on the button. After a second, you should see the web page embedded right on the RSView screen. (Pretty cool, isnt it.) Now that you see how it is done you should be able to set RSView up to run the invoke command either when the page loads or from an event instead of using a button. When running invoke from the RSView page start up command I suggest putting in a 2 - 3 second delay before the invoke command to give the active-X control a chance to start as well before actually calling the inovke command. Of course, you can enable the operator to select several web pages by including a button for each.

To get the embedded browser to do anything you will have to call a method. You can see what methods are availalble in design mode by right clicking the active X and picking annimation, active x, methods.

Last edited:
Thanks for all responses.

Alaric thanks a bunch. It worked just like you said REAL COOL !!! All i needed was window with the camera image, perfect thanks again.

[font=&quot]
[/font]

[font=&quot]GO JETS
[/font]

Sorry I'm reviving an old post... is this possible to do on RSView ME? I added the Microsoft Web Browser but I don't see an "Action" command for my button. I'm trying to load a live weather image, the image updates obviously about every fifteen minutes, so I can't just load that image into the PV+. Any ideas?

So there's no way to view an updated image from a web page? (without going to CE and loading a different activeX control)

Bummer... thanks for the reply

I'm not familiar with scripting in ME, but it should be easy...

If you can run a shell command you can open iexplore.exe and pass it the parameter of the site. Alternatively, you can create a shortcut in Windows that opens that web site and open the shortcut.

rgurin said:
Unfortunately, the button commands mentioned in this thread apply to RSView SE, not ME.

ME does not support VBA.

Regards,
Rick

I'm trying to do it with RsView SE. I have a server that is windows 2003 server and 7 clients XP. Rockwell claims it can't be done because of the two different operating systems. Has anybody tried this before. I'm trying to read data from the PLC that is the actual URL of a web page on the server. Sounds kind of strange, but the customer requested it.

Thanks

Arrrrghhhhhh......!!!!

Followed Alaric's instructions but can't get the browser to work.

Keep getting error "One of the arguments in rgvarg is not a valid variant type"

Environment RSView SE Studio v4.00.00 (Cpr 7)
Windows 2000 SP4
Microsoft Web Browser

Any ideas guys????

Thanks in advance...

Peter

I am having trouble also. I keep getting the following error:
"The number of elements provided DISPPARAMS is different from the number of arguments accepted by the method or property".
I'm using RSView SE 5.0 CPR9, and here is the invoke command tied to a button:
Invoke untitled.video.Navigate2(URLSTRING,0,0,0,0)
where untitled is the display name, video is the activeX control name, and the string tag URLSTRING is defined as ###.###.###.###
I'm new to the active X and such, and would really appreciate the help.
Thanks, Mike

CRP5. I don't use the 0,0,0,0 and it works. I don't know what the 0,0,0,0 does. I've not had good fortune in getting tags to work in this application either. Also beware that the convention 'something.com/goto/somewhere.html' will not work for the destination. Instead, it has to be 'something.com\goto\somewhere.html'. Don't ask why, it was painful to discover and is undocumented. I wished this worked better...

If you have a specific question involving IE, ActiveX, or RSView32 or FactoryTalk View, you should post it as a new thread with additional details.

This five-year-old thread, which even includes a deceased Forum member, is too fragmented to be a good base for your question.