TI-565 networking?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have two LARGE TI-565 plc systems that are located about 30 feet apart. Both units are connected to a FIX32 Scada via ethernet. System 1 is also connected serially to a DCS via modbus. System 1 is circa 1991 with 505 series I/O, system 2 is circa 1988 with 90% series 500 I/O, 10% 505 series.

I now currently pass about 5 words from system 1 to system 2 via the SCADA, but I need to pass several more registers and do not what to use the scada. I need to read values written by the DCS into System 1 on system 2.

I could tie system 2 into the DCS via modbus, but that would be costly.

What would be the best/less exspensive method to pass data between the systems, upto about 50 words. I'm hoping there is some way to use the existing ethernet, but do not know what instructions are needed in the Ladder or SFPGM. Speed is not an issue, the values are mostly tank levels, and an update every 5-10 seconds would be acceptable.

Found the solution

CTI now makes a Fast Ethernet Card for the 505 series, it supports TCP or UDP communications between 505 series PLC's. It can also "speak" Modbus TCP, or ControlLogix Ethernet/IP

Here's a link the the Manual

So all I have to do is buy two of these new cards, not cheap, but better than a new DCS connection.

I think it is time for a new PLC.

I have one of those too. I was thinking about how to get rid of the boat anchor. I had a connection to a remote 505 base using a coax cable and a remote base controller (RBC). You may be able to put an ethernet controller in the remote 505 base, but it would be very slow. I know this because customers would put our old TI 505 compatible motion controller in the remote rack. The high data rates required by the motion controller used up most of the bandwidth of the connection to the remote rack. I would think the ethernet controller would also use up all the bandwidth.

I think it is time to upgrade.

I agree

Yep, I agree that we need to upgrade.
The system with all 505 I/O should be a simple processor upgrade, but the built in RCC on the new PLC's only support mixed remote I/O to a maximum of 1024 disrete points, and 1024 analog. This system has 1280 discrete, and 296 analog (they are all remote on the 565 platform). I think if I put the new processor in a 16 slot base and move 8-10 of the 32 point discrete modules, I may be good to go.

On the other system with the 500 series I/O, I hope to install a new processor, and them migrate the I/O over time.

I think I may be able to get the funds, the hard thing to obtain is the downtime.

We run 24/7 roughly 360 days a year.

Ken

Peter,
If your truly trying to get rid of your "boat anchor". I'm interested. If I do upgrade it won't be until sometime 2006. Plus I have a sister plant with several of these old beast.