PLC in a HVAC Invirement

KaOsLoRd

Hello all; I'm just a newbie (A/C technician) and I was given the task of figuring out how to make PLC's fit in a BMS (Building Management System) world, in short to replace a BMS. I've started with GEFANUC but I have little to no knowledge on ladder logic; any help and guidance will be apreciated.

Examples that would help would be like three way valves, two way valves, motors, pumps, temperature, ect.

If you have experience with HVAC you should be able to grasp ladder logic (similar to relay logic) fairly quickly.
Click on LEARN PLCs at the top to start. Once you have specific questions I'm sure the guys here will help you.
Good Luck,
Brian.

I am curious to know why they dumped it on you. It seems that an engineer or project manager should be doing this.

Grnated, quite a few of us got our start this way. That is how I learned CAD, electric motor rebuilding, plc programming, and several other things.

It just seems more prevelant lately.

Perhaps, years of massive downsizing.

A major locomotive manufacturer had problems with gaskets on their injectors, to much PSI cuasing leaks. Well, they did downsize the gasket engineers out the door. In the long run, it only cost them a few hundred thousand dollars, several times. Okay, the figure was in the hundeds of thousands.

Planning, and downsizing, can be a wonderful thing, and maybe not...

regards.....casey

MMMMMM a learning curve

KaOsLoRd said:
Hello all; I'm just a newbie (A/C technician) and I was given the task of figuring out how to make PLC's fit in a BMS (Building Management System) world, in short to replace a BMS. I've started with GEFANUC but I have little to no knowledge on ladder logic; any help and guidance will be apreciated.

Examples that would help would be like three way valves, two way valves, motors, pumps, temperature, ect.

Well now your education is about to start if you keep this up.
STEP 1 look at this site and there is a page "learn PLC" I think is title. Read that - it will give you basics.
STEP 2 After that get Melores book also available on this web page. Cheap at $40.00. Good basic info.
STEP 3. Now you are ready to start playing with a PLC. I recommend going to a community college and taking a couple classes. That is what I did - gave me access to equipment I could never afford (Allen Bradley from the small brick up to SLC 5/05) Straight relay logic using switches is not too bad you should be able to do that at home (with a fair amount of time). Will go much quicker in class with instructor to point out errors and will be invaluable when you get to more complicated commands such as PID to control variable flow valves.

Dan Bentler