Segregating thermocouple types !!

manmeetvirdi

Hello Everybody
Well in our factory ,store guys have un-earthed lots of bundle of thermocouple cables. Problem is all J-type and K-type thermocouples are mixed and there is no tags on them to distinguish it. So can anybody suggest any simple idea to segregate these bundles according to there 'types'?
Regards
Manmeet Singh Virdi

There is a color code scheme for thermocouples.
If I had that info handy I'd tell you what it is for J and K.
Look up on web for thermocouples ??
Dan Bentler

I just bought 200 meters of glass fibre s/s braided J type thermocouple wire here in the UK last week

Colours for me were White - Black +

Dave,

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn’t see at the top of the page those colors are good only in US and Canada but over to the far right it shows the international IEC 584-3 colors.

Thanks Again,

Bob O.

Use a magnet to detect the Type J. One of the conductors is iron (Fe).
Good suggestion and by far the easiest way.

Be careful of the colour schemes. I have used US, UK and Japanese. Japanese standards have all the leads red and white and only the sheath changes. If there is no sheath you can be in trouble.

The other method is to know the temperature and check the millivolt output against a chart but the metering equipment has to be pretty good.

Thanx to you all,
I think using magnet to detect J-type thermocouple should work.As this thermocouple is Fe(+)/Constantant(-)(57% Cu and 43% Ni). Lets see!!
Also checking the thermocouples against chart value is also a good method but legnthy one.
Regards
Manmeet