Visual Basic & SLC

Davev2005

Hi everyone, I´m starting review a new aplication this aplicaction involved communicate a visual basic program (pc control) with a SLC 5/05, to send the model actually selected and the slc charge the appropiate rutine. Now, my cuestion is how can i send this values from vb to slc?, i need install in the pc rslinx gateway software?

Thanks all.

Regards

Dave

there are several ways to 'send value to plc'.
you could simply send it as an ASCII message using MSComm
which is part of your VB installation. this would require PLC
to do the receiving and decoding of the message.
to read/write any plc memory location without making modification
to plc program you would need to use protocol supported by plc
(such as DF1 if you go through RS232).
the most common way is to use third party driver (ActiveX component). These are usually something you pay for and the price goes up starting from few hudred dollars. you might find older posts about free DF1 driver for VB.NET by Jiry:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/member.php?u=409