Usb-Serial converter

guerino

I'm using a laptop without serial port connection, and I'm looking for a Usb-serial converter that will work correctly as well as for rockwell software and PL7 junior. I already have 1747-UIC for rockwell, but I would like to have one working for both.If anybody had a good experience with a converter and give me the brand name and model number.

thank you

In my experience, the Keyspan "19" series USB/RS232 converters are the best on the market. The current generation is the "HS-19", which sells for about USD $25 at my local electronics store.

I've heard of people having good luck with cheaper no-name or other brands (Belkin especially), but I've owned about 10 of these devices and the only one I still use is the Keyspan, because it works correctly with everything I've tried.

I have the Keyspan too and it works well. We have one Dell Latitude in our office that has built-in RS-232 port but most of the time the port doesn't work while the Keyspan does. Go figure.

I have Gold-X adapter from AD $29.

It work with AB df1 ,Omron AD,Hakko,UniOp,Mapel System ,pretty good.
It is not working with AB PIC driver.
Ken, your Keyspan working with PIC?

Is a PIC still necessary? I have one but haven't used it in years. I do have a PCMK. Maybe that's why I haven't used the PIC. Can't really remember since we mostly use Micrologix and 5/03s to 5/05s.

Last edited:
USB to serial

******* has a RocketPort USB Serial Hub II product, which would essentially give your PC an additional 4 RS-232 serial ports. If a single port is all that's required, you may also consider the DeviceMaster RTS 1 product, which offers 1-1 Ethernet to serial connectivity.

Additional details can be found at www.*******.com

hi dear

u may use the driver of attached files. try both. i m not sure which one i am using for USB-Serial converter. it works well with AB &SIEMENS. try for PL7 also.

if success, pl. let us also know.

I admit that I don't use the Rockwell 9300-USBS adapter. It's not as good as the Keyspan. The Keyspan even works with RSLinx DF1 Autoconfig, and the included diagnostic utility is very useful to me.

The "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver did not*, does not, and will never work with a general-purpose USB/RS232 converter. The 1747-UIC fulfills that function admirably, for exactly the same price as a 1747-PIC.

(* Okay, I once made an NEC Versa computer with Windows 95 run the PIC driver via the Keyspan interface. I have no evidence of this ever working in Win2K/XP.)

Ken Roach said:
I admit that I don't use the Rockwell 9300-USBS adapter. It's not as good as the Keyspan. The Keyspan even works with RSLinx DF1 Autoconfig, and the included diagnostic utility is very useful to me.

Same here. I got a keyspan before teh 9300-USB was offered, but now even though I have both, I have had better luck with the keyspan adaptor. Sometimes RSLinx reports a port conflict with the 9300-USB - even though no conflict exists, and I have to shut down the driver and restart it. Never had that problem with the keyspan adaptor.