help needed with SLC-500 and 1771-IFE ...

Ron Beaufort

Lifetime Supporting Member
I received the following in a Private Message from roomi117:

Dear Sir,

I am working on SLC 500. I am looking to connect 3 Thermocouples with the 1771
IFE analog input modlue. Can you please send me a ladder program example involving more then one analog input.

Best Regards,

Engr. Naeem
Maqbool
Lahore
, Pakistan.

Greetings Naeem,

first of all, you should post all of your requests in the forum’s Question and Answer section ... you will get much better results when all members have a chance to respond ... next, we need more information about your project in order to give you any useful advice ...

issue #1: you said you are working on an SLC-500 ... are you sure about that? ... more likely you are working on an SLC-5/01, or SLC-5/02, or SLC-5/03, or SLC-5/04, or SLC-5/05 ... all of these are sometimes referred to by their “family name” of SLC-500 ... we need to know which processor you are using in order to help you ... it is also possible that you are working with a PLC-5 processor ... (see next issue) ...

issue #2: the 1771-IFE module that you mentioned will not fit in the same chassis with any of the small SLC-500 processors ... specifically, it is designed for use with the larger PLC-5 system ... it IS possible to use the 1771-IFE module with the smaller SLC-500 processor - but it must be done by installing the 1771-IFE in a “remote I/O” configuration ... specifically, the larger module would be installed in a separate chassis and would communicate with the SLC-500 processor over a “remote I/O” cable ... if that is what you’re trying to set up, then we need to know what “scanner” module (example: 1747-SN) and what “adapter” module you’re using (example: 1771-ASB) ... it would also help to know how your system is configured ... specifically, we need to know what “rack” and “group”, etc. your remote rack is set for ... this is done with DIP switch settings on the 1771-ASB adapter module ...

issue #3: you said that you want to connect 3 thermocouples to the 1771-IFE module ... the 1771-IFE does not accept thermocouple inputs connected directly to the module ... instead, each of the thermocouples must be connected to a separate “transmitter” ... this transmitter will take the millivolt output of the thermocouple and convert it into a 4 to 20 milliamp signal ... this 4 to 20 milliamp signal can then be connected to the 1771-IFE module ... (note: there are other ways of doing this, but this is the most common method) ... connecting the signals to the 1771-IFE will require that you have an understanding of wiring “single-ended” and “differential” signals ... are you familiar with those terms? ... and is your 1771-IFE module already configured for one method or the other? ... specifically, is the module already in use for existing signals - to which the 3 thermocouples will be added? ... note that wiring the 1771-IFE module correctly will require that you set the position of a series of small “jumpers” which are located inside the module ...

issue #4: is it possible that you meant to say that you will be using a 1771-IXE module (rather than a 1771-IFE)? ... if so, the 1771-IXE will accept thermocouple inputs wired directly to the module ...

issue #5: in any event, we’ll need to know what type of thermocouples you’ll be using ... example: type J, type K, etc. ... if you’re using the 4 to 20 milliamp transmitter method, then we’ll also need to know the scaling for your system ... example: 4 milliamps equals 32 degrees Fahrenheit ... 20 milliamps equals 212 degrees Fahrenheit ... etc. ...

issue #6: all of these issues must be covered before we can offer you any specific examples of programming code ... but a basic idea is this: you must “configure” the 1771-IFE module with a BTW (Block Transfer Write) command rung ... this will force the processor to send a block of several words of data to the 1771-IFE module to tell it how it is expected to perform (scaling, number format, etc.) ... then you must program a BTR (Block Transfer Read) command rung which will execute repeatedly ... this will force the processor to retrieve information from the 1771-IFE module and place the information in the processor’s memory table - usually in a series of Integer-type locations ... if all else is done correctly, the readings from all 3 thermocouples will be contained in that one block of information ... example: in words N7:54, N7:55, and N7:56 ... normally the readings are all scaled from 0 to 4095 as raw data ... then we usually program separate math functions to scale the data into readings of degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius ... or it is also possible to “configure” the 1771-IFE module to provide the scaling internally ...

as you can see, the task that you have outlined is not a trivial undertaking ... but if you’ll be good enough to give us all of the details about your system, we’ll be glad to try to help ... personally, I’ll be offline and unavailable most of next week ... so I am posting your request on the forum’s main Question and Answer board in the hopes that some other members will be able to help you ...

I hope that this information will help get you started ... I wish you good luck ...

Ron Beaufort said:
I received the following in a Private Message from roomi117:

Greetings Naeem,

first of all, you should post all of your requests in the forum’s Question and Answer section ... you will get much better results when all members have a chance to respond ... next, we need more information about your project in order to give you any useful advice ...

issue #1: you said you are working on an SLC-500 ... are you sure about that? ... more likely you are working on an SLC-5/01, or SLC-5/02, or SLC-5/03, or SLC-5/04, or SLC-5/05 ... all of these are sometimes referred to by their “family name” of SLC-500 ... we need to know which processor you are using in order to help you ... it is also possible that you are working with a PLC-5 processor ... (see next issue) ...

issue #2: the 1771-IFE module that you mentioned will not fit in the same chassis with any of the small SLC-500 processors ... specifically, it is designed for use with the larger PLC-5 system ... it IS possible to use the 1771-IFE module with the smaller SLC-500 processor - but it must be done by installing the 1771-IFE in a “remote I/O” configuration ... specifically, the larger module would be installed in a separate chassis and would communicate with the SLC-500 processor over a “remote I/O” cable ... if that is what you’re trying to set up, then we need to know what “scanner” module (example: 1747-SN) and what “adapter” module you’re using (example: 1771-ASB) ... it would also help to know how your system is configured ... specifically, we need to know what “rack” and “group”, etc. your remote rack is set for ... this is done with DIP switch settings on the 1771-ASB adapter module ...

issue #3: you said that you want to connect 3 thermocouples to the 1771-IFE module ... the 1771-IFE does not accept thermocouple inputs connected directly to the module ... instead, each of the thermocouples must be connected to a separate “transmitter” ... this transmitter will take the millivolt output of the thermocouple and convert it into a 4 to 20 milliamp signal ... this 4 to 20 milliamp signal can then be connected to the 1771-IFE module ... (note: there are other ways of doing this, but this is the most common method) ... connecting the signals to the 1771-IFE will require that you have an understanding of wiring “single-ended” and “differential” signals ... are you familiar with those terms? ... and is your 1771-IFE module already configured for one method or the other? ... specifically, is the module already in use for existing signals - to which the 3 thermocouples will be added? ... note that wiring the 1771-IFE module correctly will require that you set the position of a series of small “jumpers” which are located inside the module ...

issue #4: is it possible that you meant to say that you will be using a 1771-IXE module (rather than a 1771-IFE)? ... if so, the 1771-IXE will accept thermocouple inputs wired directly to the module ...

issue #5: in any event, we’ll need to know what type of thermocouples you’ll be using ... example: type J, type K, etc. ... if you’re using the 4 to 20 milliamp transmitter method, then we’ll also need to know the scaling for your system ... example: 4 milliamps equals 32 degrees Fahrenheit ... 20 milliamps equals 212 degrees Fahrenheit ... etc. ...

issue #6: all of these issues must be covered before we can offer you any specific examples of programming code ... but a basic idea is this: you must “configure” the 1771-IFE module with a BTW (Block Transfer Write) command rung ... this will force the processor to send a block of several words of data to the 1771-IFE module to tell it how it is expected to perform (scaling, number format, etc.) ... then you must program a BTR (Block Transfer Read) command rung which will execute repeatedly ... this will force the processor to retrieve information from the 1771-IFE module and place the information in the processor’s memory table - usually in a series of Integer-type locations ... if all else is done correctly, the readings from all 3 thermocouples will be contained in that one block of information ... example: in words N7:54, N7:55, and N7:56 ... normally the readings are all scaled from 0 to 4095 as raw data ... then we usually program separate math functions to scale the data into readings of degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius ... or it is also possible to “configure” the 1771-IFE module to provide the scaling internally ...

as you can see, the task that you have outlined is not a trivial undertaking ... but if you’ll be good enough to give us all of the details about your system, we’ll be glad to try to help ... personally, I’ll be offline and unavailable most of next week ... so I am posting your request on the forum’s main Question and Answer board in the hopes that some other members will be able to help you ...

I hope that this information will help get you started ... I wish you good luck ...
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your detailed reply. Let me first tell you about my project. I have got 3 digital inputs (2 On/Off P.B for heaters, 1 pressure Switch) and 3 anlog inputs (3 thermocouples).
The heaters will be turned on after we Push the Push Buttons and the thermocouples will start monitoring the temperature of heaters. At 150 Degree the two solenoid valves will be actuated.
This is the main part of the project. Rest are very simple. Previousely I have worked on the PIC Micro Controllers but in Industry the PLC's are prefered more. I don't have much experience working with PLC's but I can do a few things.

Thanks and Regards,
Engr. Naeem Maqbool
[email protected]

Your thermocouples will not work directly with the 1771-IFE either.

I believe you are a student, it this correct? Are you using existing hardware at your school? Are you planning on purchasing the hardware? If you are using existing hardware, I would recommend that you list the part numbers of the equipment that you have. That way the board can help you decide which parts work together. Also, there is the software question, do you have the software and cables required to program whatever PLC you are using? So far you've mentioned two different PLC platforms, I would suggest you try and stick with one platform, it is usually easier for beginning programmers.

Dear Sir,
I am a student and will always be one. The thing is I don't have much experience working with Allen Bradly PLC's. The problem is mentioned above, can you tell me which processor & I/O modules to use.
The other problem is that I haven't worked with the analog I/O. We can use PLC-5 processor & 1771-IXE as mentioned by Ron. I have downloaded a few PDFs regarding the BTW and BTR commands but I am not clear completely as how to use these for more than one anlog input.
I look forward for your kind reply.
Regards,

Naeem.

Ken Moore said:
Your thermocouples will not work directly with the 1771-IFE either.

I believe you are a student, it this correct? Are you using existing hardware at your school? Are you planning on purchasing the hardware? If you are using existing hardware, I would recommend that you list the part numbers of the equipment that you have. That way the board can help you decide which parts work together. Also, there is the software question, do you have the software and cables required to program whatever PLC you are using? So far you've mentioned two different PLC platforms, I would suggest you try and stick with one platform, it is usually easier for beginning programmers.
Dear Sir,
I am a student and will always be one. The thing is I don't have much experience working with Allen Bradly PLC's. The problem is mentioned above, can you tell me which processor & I/O modules to use.
The other problem is that I haven't worked with the analog I/O. We can use PLC-5 processor & 1771-IXE as mentioned by Ron. I have downloaded a few PDFs regarding the BTW and BTR commands but I am not clear completely as how to use these for more than one anlog input.
I look forward for your kind reply.
Regards,

Naeem.

I have SLC-5/05 model and the RSLogix 500 software. I believe you are talking about the drivers for the communication.

If you have not bought the thermocouples yet then use a 1746 NI4 or NI8 analog input module with PT100 sensors and 4-20mA head converters. The NI8 is easier to scale than the NI4. At 150 degC PT100s will give better results than thermocouples. This is a bit more expensive but allows the other analog channels on the NI8 to be used for other purposes. The thermocouple module is the 1746 NT4.

Well if you have the SLC 5/05, and the RSLogix 500 software, I would suggest you use that instead of the PLC-5. That way you will not have to tackle the Block transfer logic. The next question is do have or can you get a 1746-NT4 or NT8, for your thermocouple inputs? If so then you are all set.

The 1746-NT4 will take care of the analogs, as for discrete it depends on voltage, and a few other varibles. Sounds like you just have contact closure devices, that is nothing electronic.
So you could get by with several different input modules. Do you have any 1746 input modules on hand? You are also going to need an output module for the solenoids, what are the specifications for the solenoids? Do you have a chassis? a power supply? Come on we're trying to help, but you are being very stingy with your information.

If you would give us a more complete idea of what you have and what exactly you are trying to do, we wouldn't have to keep asking so many questions. You are answering detailed questions with simple answers, not the best method of exchanging information.

Last edited:
Yes i have got the Digital input and out put modules and Power Supply But you see my main problem is how to program the three Thermocouples. Can you send me program involving three thermocouples at the input module. I can arrange the 1746-NT4 or the 1771-IXE modules.

let's do it the hard way ...

Greetings Naeem,

you said:

We can use PLC-5 processor & 1771-IXE as mentioned by Ron. I have downloaded a few PDFs regarding the BTW and BTR commands but I am not clear completely as how to use these for more than one anlog input.

let’s proceed along those lines ... you can always use the SLC-500 system later ... below is an example of the 1771-IXE module’s configuration screen ... you’ll find this under the IO Configuration feature in the RSLogix5 software - after you “insert” the module in the proper slot on the “display chassis” screen ...

ixe1.JPG

the example shows a 1771-IXE/C module which I often use in the lab for student exercises ... presently it has one J-type thermocouple connected to Channel 1 ... you can see the room temperature (71 degrees F.) indicated by a red arrow ... note (as highlighted) that the data from the thermocouple at Channel 1 is located at N10:3 ... data from all of the other seven channels is presently reading “2192” because no thermocouples are connected there ... if there were thermocouples connected to those channels, then their readings would be located at N10:4 through N10:10 ... I know that this particular example is working because I can hold the tip of the thermocouple between my fingers and watch the temperature indication rise on the screen ...

another interesting note: if you’ll press the handy “Insert Ladder Rungs” button on this screen, then RSLogix5 will actually write the ladder logic rungs for you ... I’ve attached a couple of files that you might find helpful ... if you have any further specific questions, then it would be a good idea to list ALL of the hardware and software that you have available ... as you can see, we can offer you very detailed help with your project - but only if we know enough about your hardware and software to give specific answers ... good luck ...

Last edited: