LogixPro Bottle line simulator

vlmuke

Hi,
I am new to PLC programming. Myself and several co-workers are taking a PLC class and we are using the logixPro to learn on, Our problem is we, including our instructor, can't seen to get the bottles to cap or fill with out destroying the bottles, it seems that if we use the bit shift the bottles our either out of sync with the convoyor or stay down till a broken or tall bottle passes
we've tried to put a timer on the convoyor but didn't have any luck we also tried to use the bit shift but the and the limit switch but that either stays up or down all the time. the rest of the items working, I was wondering if some one who has programmed this before might be able to offer some suggestions what we could try??
Thanks
RichB

RichB,

Yep, I have done the Bottle Line Exercises, all 6 of them. There are a few tricks that I learned the hard way. Definitley use the Bir Shift Registers. Only run the conveyor motor until a bottle is under the fill nozzle, then stop it until the bottle is filled. The "speed" of the conveyor is also important. In this exercise it is controlled by the so-called "scan time", which is not user settable on actual PLCs, but you can set it in LogixPro. On my computer, the bottle line will only run at about 75% of full speed without breaking a bottle, even when correctly programmed. This is to illustrate the physical limits in most material handling systems. I can post the program later, after you struggle awhile.

RichB,

Here are some more tips for the Bottle Line Simulator:

1. Only 3 or 4 timers should be used for entire project, including Exercise 6. The reason is that the encoder should be used to determine the timing for most functions. Because you have to stop the conveyor to fill a bottle, then timers are needed for Fill Tube Extend Time, Charge Delay, and Charge Time. I also used a 4th timer, a TOF, to run the Divert Conveyor 4 seconds after the stop button is pressed. This makes sure that a bottle is not left "hanging" on the Inclined Divert Conveyor (which will break at the next startup).

T4:1 TON Fill Tube Extend Timer, 1.1 second Preset, needed to set total time that fill tube is energized, to be extended after conveyor stops with bottle in position.

T4:2 TON Charge Delay = 0.4 second Preset, wait for 0.4 until fill tube is partially extended before energizing Charge Relay.

T4:3 TON Charge Timer = 0.4 second Preset, this is the time it takes to place the liquid in the bottles.

T4:0 TOF Run Divert Conveyor 4 seconds after STOP pressed to clear bottles. All other motors are shut down immediately.

Does it mean that I have programmed it wrong then if I can run at 100% and not break any bottles? I cannot run lower than 70%? I did not use any timers and was able to fill and cap no problem?

This took me a few days. I have not started on the counters yet. I just got the fill working tonight.

Thanks all. I cant post an image but if someone wants one I'll e-mail what I have to compare or try.

PLC wizzard,

No, you probably have discovered the secret: don't use timers but use counters as timers, to counteract LogixPro's tendency to not work properly with the much faster computers that are available now.

I would be interested in seeing your solution, if you would E-mail it to me.

Well, I guess the PLC Wizzahd has bowed out. Apparently his solution for capping the bottles did not work out after all.

can you send it to me
Does it mean that I have programmed it wrong then if I can run at 100% and not break any bottles? I cannot run lower than 70%? I did not use any timers and was able to fill and cap no problem?

This took me a few days. I have not started on the counters yet. I just got the fill working tonight.

Thanks all. I cant post an image but if someone wants one I'll e-mail what I have to compare or try.

Thanks for the tips on using the counter with the timer, I was able to fix my program by following these instructions.

I would like to get more details on how to create my flow charts more accurate.

I would like to get more details on how to create my flow charts [so that they are] more accurate.
Erosas, the details are easy to sum up: Study, work, get experience, study, work, get experience, and so on.

Guys, I'm totally sorry I let everyone down. I have been very busy with school for the last couple months and stopped programming completely. I reloaded windows on my laptop and forgot to save my RSL files. I reloaded LogixPRO this weekend and started on the bottle line sim. It sucked starting over because I didnt think I would ever get it back. Well, I did. Its pretty basic but I did it without timers, or counters. Take a look and see what you guys think. I'll post it on the download page. I am no programmer, Im just a newb so dont trash me here too bad. Let me know what you guys would have done different. Im really looking for constructive ideas because I would like to improve. Thanks guys.

PLC Wizzaahd,

I finally got a chance to review your Bottle Line program. Here is what I see with it running on my computer:

Speed Bottles broke by fill tube
50% 0
60% 1 out of each 90 filled (average)
70% 1 out of each 50 filled (average)
80% 1 out of each 30 filled (average)
90% 1 out of each 30 filled (average)
100% 1 out of each 25 filled (average)

For my original program, using timers for the fill tube, it does not break any bottles until the speed is set above 70%.

I think the reason is that the fill tube takes a certain time to extend, fill, and retract, no matter how fast or slow the conveyor is running. If you check the timing of the fill tube, it is about the same at every speed. It does not speed up with the conveyor speed. This is logical as it simulates devices in the real world. For the operation of solenoid-driven actuators, the time for the electromagnetic force applied to the solenoid is independent of any conveyor speed.

Last edited: