PLs. all Share in :

Dear my Friends

============================================================
PLC Lab and DCS "Scada" Lab​
============================​

I am PhD student as you know before and I am worked in A scientic center, I am ordered to write my needs in the next financial Year, and I think in PLC and DCS,

But i really do not know what can I wrote for ...

all I need is a PLC lab and SCada ,

i.e. what can i wrote for the specs, types, what need beside PLC and DCS, so we can have a good PLC Lab for trainer, practice, and development,

Pls. all share in

How many students is the lab expected to cater for?

What do you want to actually train them in?
- Basic PLC programming only?
- PID control?
- Full blown control lab?

I would suggest ideally:
1 PC connected to 1 PLC per student.
Each PLC should have minimum 12 inputs and 8 outputs, plus option for analog IO.
Minimum panel for each PLC with switches wired into each input, lights wired into each output, trimpots for analogs withsmall panel meters for the outputs.
Even better if you can have a range of interesting (and safe) gadjets that can be controlled by these PLCs.

You may be constrained by budget, room size and other factors.

I would think that this could become a very expensive proposition. I know that many universities get alot of donated or reduced cost equipment either from PLC companies or from industrial companies who are demolishing or replacing controls.

Alslam Alikom m_abd_el_khalik,

I recently designed a very good PLC and SCADA lab in my company, It's also a portable lab that can be easily moved to external locations.

It was based on:
1- Four PLC systems ( Koyo and Allen Bradlley)- most of them equipped with Digital and Analog I/O modules, Ethernet communication modules.

2- A multi-drop data acquistion system (based on RS-485): modules for volt, current, RTD and themocouples.

3- A PC-based data acquistion system (PCI-plug multifunction card)

All these systems equipped with I/O simulators (push buttons, toggles, lamps, meters)

4- for the software part: we are using demo versions which work great and only should be restarted after a period of time elapsed which is not an issue in training.
Examples: Wonderware Intouch SCADA package, OPC/DDE server from software toolbox, Labview 7 from National intruments for data acquistion and sometimes Visual basic.

5- A "workbook" and "Practical applications" should be implemented using thes equipments depending on the level of the trainess and their specialities

We used these systems in many training programs in large companys and had a great success.
The great news is that it doesn't cost us much (All the cost was covered in the first training program!)

I hope this help you while you are thining about your lab and sure there are many things that I'd like to add but that what just happened.

Best regards

Last edited: