S5 program.

timkearton

Dear all,
Does anyone know where the ladder logic program resides in the S5 PLC? (Is it in ram, eprom, both?.) I have a PG 675 programmer with the ladder program on disk and I am wondering whether it can be used to put the program back in (if indeed it is lost!), through the front D25 socket on a Siemens Series 8 control.
This is a bit of an update to my previous post as I don't know how to edit posts yet, being a brand new member.

All the best to all,
Regards,
Tim.

The program is in the RAM, therefore you should have a back-up-battery in case the power goes down.

The Eprom is used if a backup is needed in case that the program is lost. Then you copy it from Eprom to RAM. But, if I remember this correct, there are also some DB-instructions that make it possible to write date to Eprom.

Eprom to ram in S5

You can store your programs on Eprom except DB's .In you start-up you can specify to create DB's in ram ( if they don't exist ).See the manuals for the right commands

Eric Buysse

Yes, Eric, you' re right, you can only create a DB in RAM, I have just dusted off the manual and checked it...

'E DBx' for 'Erzeugen' is the german-code.

Dear All,
thank you for your replies. Ivo, how do you copy from eprom to ram?. I think you are right about the program being lost from ram as I had the batteries go down, but I am certain that the 4 eprom modules are intact. Simon, I am checking the part number today and will let you know when I have it.
Kind Regards,
Tim.

Tim

If it is just a case of 'transfering' the contents of the eprom to the CPU ram, then This thread might be of some assistance to you.

I am a little bit confused as to the '4 eprom modules' you mentioned.

I will wait to see the part numbers of the CPU you are using before commenting any further.

Paul

Paul,
there are 2 cards in the PLC rack and each card has 2 sub modules each containing 4 eproms. Thank you for the thread ref.. I will try the old take off the battery for half an hour and see how it goes.
kind regards,
Tim.