Safe-guarding PLC's working off a generator

David_Emmerich

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone.. I have a nagging Question that I would like some feedback on....we are building a mobil conveyor system to assemble erosion control mats at remote sites, mainly near large bodies of water. The control system is a AD 250-1 in a 6 slot base, ..yes it is a bit over-kill, but it was left over and on hand. The question is should I put a UPS in front of all the control wiring and the PLC to smooth out the incoming power, or will a 75 db surge supressor be enough? There is a 10 Hp Hydraulic pump, a 5 Hp air compressor, and an other 5 Hp hydraulic pump, all 220 vac, being supplied on the same power feed. Thanks in advance, and I do wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. David beerchug

For many many years I worked in an environment that used nothing but generators from 50KW to 1000KW. I have had 20+ online and paralleled to provide power at places like the KY state fair.

That said, I would trust gen power as much as any public utility, maybe even more so BUT if using just one generator and the compressor, pumps etc will be shutting on/off then I would say use some form of suppression at the minimum. I dont worry about having a UPS because loss of power will shut down everything but with a UPS you can monitor power plus it acts to isolate better than a surge suppressor.

Hi Rick, We can't be too sure that all our customers will over-size the gen-set properly, soooo will are going to put on the UPS.....I'll keep you posted with the results. DAVID