Unlatching Bis

mwatkins

Quick question for you. In an Allen-Brdley SLC500 system can you unlatch a bit by setting the file to zero.
For example MOV 0 to N7:3. Would this unlatch say N7:3/1.
Or can you only do this using the Unlatch bit.
Thanks

Writing to the data table is writing to the data table.

Both methods work. So does CLR N7:3. Also FFL 0 #N7:3 1. If you want to unlatch only N7:3/1, but leave N7:3/0 alone, you could use a Masked Move, MVM 0 0002h N7:3.

But keep in mind that these sorts of games can be a bear to troubleshoot. A Search and a Crossreference will only look for the bit address, and not necessarily reveal that you are also manipulating the bit via the whole word.

It's not necessarily bad to use this technique, but please, please, please be consistant throughout the program, so that once someone understands that this is what you are doing, they can follow it everywhere.

And have good reasons for doing it.

And annotate the heck out of it.

And keep the logic that sets and resets the bit together, if you can.

Otherwise, your name will be cursed by whomever follows you. (I'm dealing with a program written badly (this is just ONE of the ways), and if curses worked, he would be suffering as much as I am.

Thanks for the help Allen. And yes I will document the program.
I am also cursing the programmer of this project I am working on.
:D