Can't Connect - GE LM90 CPU360 Win98

keithkyll

I can't go online or monitor. I get a blue screen with a VCOMM error. Converter cable is generic (homemade) from eBay.
Sony Pentium Laptop F360, IC693CHS391L, IC693CPU360AA.

The following works:
A) GE Micro(IC693UDR001EP1) with LM90 9.05/9.06 and VersaPro 1.10 (Micro/Nano Edition).
B) SerialCommTest reports "PLC Connected OK at 19200/Odd/1 use LM90". CPU address is 5 symbols that look like a half circle with a vertical line - close to "bbbbb".

Blue Screen also happens with nothing connected to the serial port. Same results with an old Toshiba laptop (Win 98), and a late model Dell desktop with XP.

Converter cable vendor reports that cable will work with Micro and embedded CPU's (311, etc) but doesn't know about plug-in CPU's. I don't see why there would be a difference.
PS port LED comes on.

This project also has a CMM module, but I can't connect with it either. SerialCommTest connects to the CMM port 1 with Series Six Protocol and CPU address as 1.

Is my CPU bad? Will VersaPro Standard help?

Keith

I use GE, but there are a couple of guys on here that are experts.

I may be looking at this and missing something simple.

The blue screen with nothing on the serial port is interesting.

I would like to say if the cable is working on the Micro, then I think it should work on the 360.

I don't have my laptop with LogicMaster with me, but I thought it supported that CPU.

I don't believe that your Micro VM software will work, I have used the original Versa Pro mostly, and the Micro 90's were still out when it was wrote.

I don't remember every getting the blue screen with a GE product.

I have only used real GE cables and RS485 adapters.

So, I would look first at the cable.

Second, I would verify that the Logic Master was compatable with the CPU.

Perhaps Russ or Steve or someone else has some better insight on this.

regards.....casey

A quick check for the CPU would be to open up off line the LM90 and do an configuration selection if it is supported then you should be able to select it from the cpu selection or rack selection. Is the cpu 360 a backplane cpu ?
Blue screen on LM90 never seen

The converter is real high on the suspect list here. VERY HIGH.
I'm using a Horner Electric SNP to RS232 Adapter Part No. HE693SNP232A. Actually it's some type of propriatary converter. I dont think you can live without it....

I agree. Years ago, I did a project with the "new" 9020. I connected directly with a RS422 card in the PC. I figured that's all you needed. You used the word "proprietary", that's what I was looking for. Micro1 and others work, but I suspect the 386 based processors may be pickier about using genuine GE/HE products.

BTW, I was born and raised in NW Detroit.
Keith

Have you configured the offline program to match what you are connecting too?

The SNP ID number can be very important when connection using SNP 90 protocol, sometimes the default ID for the computer will match the plc's. I have a couple of those Horner Electric adapters and have gotten the blue screen from the SNP address issue.

There are several threads on here that show you can get around using the adapter and make a cable like this:
Code:
9 pin-F		   15 pin-M
Rd 2 --------------- 12 SD+(B)
Td 3 --------------- 10 RD+(B')
Sig.Gnd. 5 ---------- 7 SG
RTS 7 ---|	   |--- 6 RTS+(B)
CTS 8 ---|	   |--- 15 CTS+(B')

DTR 4 ---|	   |--- 8 CTS-(A')
DSR 6 ---|	   |--- 14 RTS-(A)

The CMM module should have 2 ports that can be configured for SNP, CCM, or RTU. The manual GFK-0255 Series 90 Programmable Coprocessor and Software User's Manual and GFK-0582 Series 90 PLC Serial Communications User's Manual will offer more information. If preconfigured you would need to know the setup.

keithkyll said:
BTW, I was born and raised in NW Detroit.

No kidding...Where abouts? Way back I had some friends who lived in Rosedale, Palmer Park, and Old Redford. Actually I'm from East of Alter Rd, but made frequent visits to Uncle Sams..

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "blue screen". Please describe it, what sequence of keystrokes leads to it, and what you have to do to recover from it. Attach a screen capture if possible.

When you start LM90, the first screen you see is a menu. Then you hit either F1 to launch the programming task or F2 to launch the configuration task. If you have your cable connected between the computer running Logicmaster and the PLC, Logicmaster will attempt to connect to the PLC.

If it fails to connect, either the programming task or the configuration task will stop at a menu screen where you select which program folder you want to open. Along the bottom of the screen you will see word "Offline".

If it succeeds in establishing a connection with the PLC, it will search teh computer's hard drive for a folder that matches the program in the PLC. If it finds a match and the program stored on your computer is identical to the version in the PLC, in the bottom RH corner of the screen you will see the words "Logic Equal" or "Config Equal" and the programmer will be in "Monitor" mode.

LM90 should be able to communicate with a CPU360.

The CMM311 ports have to be properly configured in order to be able to communicate, so you can't count on that as a solution.

The 15-pin port on the power supply is strictly SNP protocol. The baud rate and other parameters can be changed. however. Default setting is 19.2 Kbaud, Odd parity, 1 stop bit. Logicmaster defaults to the same settings. The power supply port furnishes 5 VDC power for the converter. Check that pin 5 is +5 VDC above pin 7.

rsdoran said:
Have you configured the offline program to match what you are connecting too?

The SNP ID number can be very important when connection using SNP 90 protocol, sometimes the default ID for the computer will match the plc's. I have a couple of those Horner Electric adapters and have gotten the blue screen from the SNP address issue.

There are several threads on here that show you can get around using the adapter and make a cable like this:
Code:
9 pin-F		   15 pin-M
Rd 2 --------------- 12 SD+(B)
Td 3 --------------- 10 RD+(B')
Sig.Gnd. 5 ---------- 7 SG
RTS 7 ---|	   |--- 6 RTS+(B)
CTS 8 ---|	   |--- 15 CTS+(B')

DTR 4 ---|	   |--- 8 CTS-(A')
DSR 6 ---|	   |--- 14 RTS-(A)

The CMM module should have 2 ports that can be configured for SNP, CCM, or RTU. The manual GFK-0255 Series 90 Programmable Coprocessor and Software User's Manual and GFK-0582 Series 90 PLC Serial Communications User's Manual will offer more information. If preconfigured you would need to know the setup.
I've done the configuration. Removed all modules except CPU. Pulled battery and shorted cap discharge pins. The cheater cable probably won't work with a laptop - most likely 3.3v levels. The generic box has 3 chips and looks proper for RS232 to RS422/485 conversion. It works fine on a Micro1. This CPU is new (NIB Surplus). I don't want to void my warranty. If the cheater cable would work, where is the "Horner Electric Proprietary" part in this hookup? I could dust off my old desktop and try the cheater cable method, but I'm convinced the generic box is a better version of a "direct" connection.

GE's Serial test program hooks up at 19200/odd/1 but has garbage for the CPU address. Is this a problem or clue?

I followed the instructions for the CMM module, and made a cable for port 1. No luck here. The test program connects to it with Series Six - seems strange to me, but maybe the test program isn't for CMM modules, and defaults to series six. Nothing happens on port 2 - no LED on port 2 either.

I'll buy a proper programming cable, and get a trial of the latest software. Then I can determine if it's the CPU or software.

Keith

The 5v for the adapter is provided by pin 5 from the PLC side, not the laptop. I have never used the cable I described but there are many here, one being strongly associated with GE products that uses the above configuration without an adapter. Just make sure pin 5 on the plc side is not connected to anything.

Steve Bailey said:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "blue screen". Please describe it, what sequence of keystrokes leads to it, and what you have to do to recover from it. Attach a screen capture if possible.

When you start LM90, the first screen you see is a menu. Then you hit either F1 to launch the programming task or F2 to launch the configuration task. If you have your cable connected between the computer running Logicmaster and the PLC, Logicmaster will attempt to connect to the PLC.

If it fails to connect, either the programming task or the configuration task will stop at a menu screen where you select which program folder you want to open. Along the bottom of the screen you will see word "Offline".

If it succeeds in establishing a connection with the PLC, it will search teh computer's hard drive for a folder that matches the program in the PLC. If it finds a match and the program stored on your computer is identical to the version in the PLC, in the bottom RH corner of the screen you will see the words "Logic Equal" or "Config Equal" and the programmer will be in "Monitor" mode.

LM90 should be able to communicate with a CPU360.

The CMM311 ports have to be properly configured in order to be able to communicate, so you can't count on that as a solution.

The 15-pin port on the power supply is strictly SNP protocol. The baud rate and other parameters can be changed. however. Default setting is 19.2 Kbaud, Odd parity, 1 stop bit. Logicmaster defaults to the same settings. The power supply port furnishes 5 VDC power for the converter. Check that pin 5 is +5 VDC above pin 7.
A hard Windows crash is known as the Blue Screen of Death (BSD). My blue screen reports a hard fault with the Windows serial driver (VCOMM) and unloads it from memory. It's not a true BSD because I can "press any key to continue". (not fatal - LM90 reloads it on the next comm attempt).
It happens on the first attempt to communicate (F1 Program or F2 Config). The PS Port light comes on indicating a connection, but I remain offline and get the folder selection menu.

I can exit Program or Config, Press "Y" to exit, and I'm back to the initial LM90 screen. I can press F1 or F2 to repeat the scenario.

The only difference between having the cable connected/disconnected is the operation of the PS Port LED.

I stripped it down to just a PS and CPU, did Config again and got the same results.

Pin 5 to 7 is 5.07 volts - cable connected - removed backshell to measure.

Comm Config Utility is setup. SerialPortTest.exe works perfectly as well as connections to a Micro1. Unplugging the cable gives the blue screen, but I'm thinking the blue screen is just a minor Windows compatability issue - it doesn't seem to be a good clue.

If there's no communication difference, then I must have a timing issue with the generic converter, or a bad CPU.

What's your experience with SerialCommTest.exe ? Is the "garbage" for the CPU address a concern?

Keith