Learning about different PLC's

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
I have learned a lot from plcs.net, like so many others have. There are a lot of tips and tricks to be learned. Often, I will look at threads that really of are no interest to me, or related to anything that pertains to me, and I find something very interesting. I know that there are many out there that read every post in every thread.

What inspired this thread, was the TWIDO. I had seen it mentioned in passing in a few threads this year, figured it was some foreign plc, that I would probably never see, and left it at that.

After posting a review on a GE plc, I was looking at all the other brands and models that were listed for review, and there was the TWIDO. I may never use one, but now have an interest in learning more about it, if for no other reason, curiousity.

No doubt, others have not heard of the TWIDO, or some other plc. I am now waiting patiently to read a review on the TWIDO.

I believe the plc product review section is going to be much more valuable and imformative than I previously thought.

I am looking forward to reading reviews on all the plcs, but most specific, the ones that I have never seen or heard of.

There is always something around here for everyone to learn.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
How abt review on FATEK PLCs..

Yes true I would also like to here a review on a PLC of FATEK automation....really dont know how many on this site use it??

Thanks in advance
Sarit

Modicons Twidow is something like an AB MicroLogix 1200. If you are looking for a cheap(Oops, Cost Effective) PLC for small stand alone machines, they are fine, You can link up to 6 Twidow's together using a propriaty buss. The software is cumbersome, but hey if you like Modicon than this is for you. They are expandable, I think it was about the same as the ML 1200, but dont quote me on that.

I would not use it personaly, but then again I would not use an Idec, mitsubishi, Automation Direct, or a Unitronics.

There :rolleyes: my 2 cents

Allan:

You seem knowledgable enough to write a review on that PLC!

Sounds like they have some of the capabilities of Moellers "easy" 800 series.

Sarit:

I think I may have heard of Fatek, but I'm sure thatr I have never seen one.

Maybe some user will see the post and check in.

regards.....casey

The Twido software is not "Modicon" and has nothing in common with 984 Ladder Logic. It is hard core IEC ladder logic.

The latest software version 3.x allows on-line programming. They even have a model with built in ethernet.

CaseyK said:
The TWIDO is sounding more and more interesting.

I am gonnna have to do some research on it.

Let's see some reviews on it!
BobB and myself gave some brief reviews (er... opinions) on the Twido in THIS thread... đź““

🍻

-Eric

BobB and myself gave some brief reviews (er... opinions) on the Twido

Well put Eric. I have downloaded the latest software that allows online programming but still will not use the Twido due to the absolutely pathetic attempt Schneider have put into the software. It is really awful. A Schneider rep I know very well agrees by the way.

The communications method between PLC's is Modbus - pretty standard stuff.

I have spoken to my local IDEC (Izumi) rep, the Twido is a re-badged IDEC, and I am going to have a look at the IDEC software to see if it is any better because I like the PLC generally. It is small, expandable and ideal for many jobs, and yes it is cost effective. Even the cost of high density cables is low, I can obtain 5 metre plug in cables for less than $40 AU. Compare that to the normal manufacturers "made up" cable prices.

My comments about having to type in %, I, Q etc and also having to type in the card rack location and PLC number still stand. An absolute pain in the tail. Takes far too long.

The IDEC rep also tells me that some of the internal firmware structure has been modified by Schneider. Pretty normal to fit in their range.

I am still using Omron CPM1A and 2A PLC's for small jobs despite the fact that they are less "cost effective" with respect to hardware. They are far more "cost effective" with respect to time spent programming and commissioning. And great software. The same software I use for all Omron PLC's. Only one learning curve certainly saves a lot of time.

Apparently Schneider have some "good" things coming in the next 12 months or so at this end of the market. I certainly hope they spend some time getting the software right and making ladder an integral part of the program instead of an afterthought, as is the case with Unity. The ladder editor is almost as pathetic as Twidosoft. The popular IEC functions as used extensively in Europe is usually pretty good, as one would expect, but the ladder editor is terrible.

By the way, if Schneider came out with a decent set of programming software, I would have absolutely no hesitation in using the Twido again.