Adding

Indirect addressing with a for next loop, should do the trick.
See the attached file for an example .rss file

Edit:
Didn't see your OS301, disregard the example, indirect addressing isn't supported. You might want to consider upgrading your firmware.

Last edited:
just put 19 unconditional rungs in a subroutine and call it whenever you need to do the addition ... the first rung will CLR (Clear) any previous values from the "accumulator" (for example: F8:0) ... the next rung will ADD the contents of the first location (example: N7:1) to F8:0 ... the second rung will ADD the contents of the second location (example: N7:2) to F8:0 ... and so on ...

programming 19 rungs might not be everyone's idea of the "easy way" but with the judicious use of "Copy and Paste" it shouldn't be a severe hardship ...

Last edited:
Is the 5/03 flash upgradable?

I don't know the 5/03 - never used one, always went with 5/04 or 5/05s but many of the AB processors are flash upgradable. If it is you can download the flash upgrade of AB's web site and viola, you have a CPT instruction.

Otherwise, the for/next loop with indirect addressing is the way to go, but your registers have to be contiguous for that method to work. If the registers are not contiguous in memory, then make a subroutine, bite the bullet, and stick the 18 individual rungs in it, otherwise you'll have to have 18 moves just to get the data into a contiguous file for the for next loop in the first place.

Just curious, are you adding the registers for an averaging calculation? If you are, there is an easier way.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies i put it all in one rung(17 IN Parallel) with a one shot in front of it. Is this going to work OR would it be better with the 18 rungs? :confused:

Ron you`re way looks alot better and took about 2 minutes. It will probably take longer than that to delete the mess i`ve made.

Thanks guys 🍻

Last edited:
FYI,

The processor mentioned does not support indirect addressing. Indexed yes, but Indirect, no. Which leads to the upgrade option for the 5/03.

The 5/03 Operating System is FLASH upgradeable, but it is upgraded through the use of a EEPROM upgrade cartridge. Takes about 3 minutes but does require a shutdown.

Power down the SLC and remove from the chassis
Move the memory protect jumper to "program"
Insert the EEPROM upgrade cartridge
Place the processor back in the chassis and power-up
Wait for the lights to flash a pattern signalling completion (~40 seconds)
Power down the SLC and remove from the chassis
Move the memory protect jumper to "protect"
Remove the EEPROM upgrade cartridge
Place the processor back in the chassis and power-up
Reload project (this will convert project to new O/S)
Take the upgrade cartridge to the next 5/03 and upgrade.
Rinse, lather, repeat!

The 5/04 uploads the same way. The 5/05 upgrades using ControlFlash software (like the ControlLogix).

The 5/03 upgrade is a part #: 1747-OS302
Looks like it is $155 list.

This upgrade is well worth it. Indirect addressing, BTR/BTW, CPT, Trig functions, Advanced Math functions. Heck the addition of BTR/BTW alone is huge!

OG