RSVIEW 32 Development

RBEYER

Can I develop in Windows XP and then transer to NT computer? I am only making modifications to the existing application, mainly graphics. I am using the same version RSVIEW 32 on both computers. Has anyone done this? This should be pretty straight forward.

Yes, you can. If RSView is running on both, then all you have to do is copy the RSView Project folder from the XP to the NT. This is sometimes the hard part, if the two computers are not networked together. If you have any Visual Basic macros and data log files, then copy those also. I have had to use WinZIP as the only alternative at times. It takes forever to copy all those files that way. A portable ZIP drive also works well.

Last edited:
Use the Transport utility and it will copy all the files for you. No need to use Winzip, no missed files. I use it all the time. You can transport between XP/2000/NT without problems as long as they are using the same versions of RSView32.

OG

OG,

Transport does not do the super-compression that WInZIP can achieve at the highest compression setting. With Transport, I have to use twice as many floppy disks.

Floppy disks ? Surely not ?

Actually you don't have to copy all of the log files , only the data log definition files . I have an application that generates around 4GB of data , and the customer tried to back up the application using winzip and floppies , needless to say he gave up after the first box .
NT ? unless there are real good reasons to the contrary , choose another operating system , that ctrl alt del logon is a pain , particularly if you run a TP with no attached keyboard .

tutichip,

I never copy any of the log files, but it still takes a lot of floppies for some projects. Yes, in poor areas, plants do not have networks or CD writers, or ZIP drives.

Sorry , I misunderstood you "any Visual Basic macros and data log files" I thought that was what you meant ! Just out of interest , if the PC's in question don't have CD drives , how do you install RSV ? There can't be many PC's running RSV , at least versions in living memory that don't have an ethernet card .

Of course , only my view , but rather than wasting a day trying to zip up the application . I think I might buy the customer a couple of NIC's if things are that desperate ( one wonders how they make a profit at all )rather than waste a morning with a handful of second hand floppies that are probably good for nothing after being in the cupboard for 50 years .

Your much more dedicated than I am Lancie , I like to try and see a profit at the end of the job , and if the customer really can't stretch to a CDRW drive ( the cheapest one I can find is less than $20 c/w software ) , then I am not sure that it would be worth giving them a bill at the end of the job.

Two words for Lance...

Lancie1 said:
OG,

Transport does not do the super-compression that WInZIP can achieve at the highest compression setting. With Transport, I have to use twice as many floppy disks.
"Jump Drive"
Lance spend 20 bucks on a a USB jump drive, life is so much nicer when not limited to 1.44 Mb...

I already have a USB Pen Drive. My problem is, a lot of old computers do not have USB ports, nor are they set up to recognize a USB memory drive.

Hi,

Yes, I do agree older comp does not comes with USB, so what I normally do is zip the files with winzip (trialware) or Winrar (freeware), then use a 9-pin cross cable with Hyperterminal to transfer the files over.

U cannot expect the usb speed, but i guess at least better than floppy :)