OPC Servers, Cimplicity problem

pavel47

Hello everybody.

It seems that OPC Servers are not properly installed during
Cimplicity v6.1 installation.
The symptom is: I dont see OPC Server in Cimplicity group of utilities (contrary to Cimplicity documentation).

Extract from Cimplicity documentation:
Important: Your CIMPLICITY HMI project must be running in order to work with the CIMPLICITY HMI OPC Server.
1. Make sure your CIMPLICITY HMI project is running.
2. Click Start on the Windows task bar.
3. Select Programs>CIMPLICITY>HMI>OPC Server.

Where is the problem.
I will be grateful for any help. It's urgent.
I contacted already General Electric, but for the moment nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Pavel.

I dont know Cimplicity, but OPC servers are typically installed separately from other softwares. OPC servers are (normally) not tied to one particular software package (thats the big point with OPC).

If the Cimplicity OPC server you are referring to, is an option that allows Cimplicity to be an OPC server itself, then there is the possibility that you must install some additional software.

Some software has options that are turned on or off depending on which license has been installed on the PC. You may have to purchase or install a special license to "unlock" the OPC server.

Dont know if the above will help you at all.

Hello Jesper.

Thank you for answer.

Yes it's true there was additonal installation CD for OPC Servers in
package that came from GE. I installed it. But it is different fron those, referenced in Cimplicity documrntation. Its intallation created
other program group "Cimplicity OPC Servers". The name of OPC server is
different - GagePort Server. Interface isn't the same as showed in Cimplicity documentation.

Maybe the problem is in license. I transfered license from one computer to another using description in Cimplicity documentation. At this moment
there is no OPC Severs in "Select Programs>CIMPLICITY>HMI>OPC Server" on
both computers.
I don't remeber if it existed on old computer just after installation.

Best regards.

Pavel.

Hello Pavel.

As you write it, it sounds like the option you have installed is different (newer maybe) from the one described in the documentation.
It is possible that it installs in another location.
You can know if it is installed and running by using an OPC test client, most OPC vendors have a free test client you can download. The test client must report all running OPC servers.
If the OPC test client doesnt report anything then it can be because the server is not installed, or because it is not running.

It is also possible that you need to install a license. I dont know Cimplicity, but other softwares with diskbased licenses have a utility to manage (and observe) the installed licenses.