Micrologix 1000 analog

waterboy1

I have beed choosen to do the maintenance and troubleshooting for a a remote monitoring system of AB Micrologix 1000 analog 1761 controllers. One of the first tasks that I want to do is backup each of the controllers, but I cannot seem to connect to any of the controllers.

I have downloaded and installed the latest software and am using the correct cable into the correct com port directaly into the computer. I feel that I may be using the wrong driver or setting the driver up incorrectally.

When I try to conenct and autoconfigure, it get the error message of a packet time out and check the cable and switch.
Can anyone help?

Which ML 1000 exactly as some offer the com port as DH485

this means connecting under DF1 with a serial cable will get you nowhere!

What is your linx driver set to ?

What is your cable part number ?

More info please

Well if you are connected to the ML port and do an auto config in rslinx and this doesnt work then i would suggest the ML has been setup for DH485 comms (Series C or later ML1000's only)

Is there a 1761-Net-Aic with the ML 1000 or not ?

The only way to connect to a dh 485 ML is with a

1761-Net-AIC (Aic+)
Serial or USB Pic convertor
or a PCMK card

edit: i see you say ANALOG, notice in the pic the ALL ANALOG !

According to the Manual the ML1000 should auto switch from df1 or dh485 when you connect to the port

So if you cannot get online then i think this plot thickens!

See Below

so, I cannot connect directally with the PLC if it has been programmed with DH-485 unless I have an AIC?

The plot gets thicker.

What are the steps that you would take to access the program in this controller if you did not have any information about how it was programmed? This is where I am at with this.

Thanx

The picture that was posted was for a DH-485 network; for that you would need the AIC+. For DH-485 point-to-point between your PC and the ML, you can configure the PIC driver, but use the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. You can also do this on SLC 5/03's and above on the serial port (CH.0) using the 1747-CP3 cable, if the serial port has been configured for DH-485 protocol.

Just a shot in the dark, but do you have the right COM port selected on your computer?

Have you tried the various COM port options COM1, COM2?

If this is a notebook then the COM port may be software configurable. Check the Windows Device Manager to verify what port you have.

OG

It looks like I am dealing with a DH-485 net work just from the picture.

I do not know if this will help, but, some of the plc's are connected directally to a adtran modem and others directally to a radio using the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. They are all polled from a central location.

Another question as I am still learning the lingo, what is PIC?

waterboy1 said:
I do not know if this will help, but, some of the plc's are connected directally to a adtran modem

I dont know the adtran and its not listed on ab's site but if your ML's are connected to a modem then i would think the protocol is DF1 and not DH485

The micrologix com port is either talking rs232 or using 485 protocol. If your trying to directly connect and rslinx is not 'seeing' the plc then delete the 232 driver, close/restart linx and setup the driver using the 'pic' driver. Then try the auto-config again.
LOL