PLC administration possible via PDA?

Hello,​
Just checking on my fathers behalf who manages multiple PLC's via wireless laptop (XP Pro) at his job. Myself being the nerd that I am (network administrator) I thought It might be possible to do his job with one of the available PDA's now on the market.​
from all the *****ing and moaning he does it sounds like he is moving around quite a bit form machine to machine and having a much smaller tool would be beneficial.​
with the newer handhelds sporting powerful processors and built in WiFi and BT and running trimmed down versions of XP I thought it was worth a look into.​
Dad mentioned that he uses these apps to do his job​
rslinks
net utility
ge simplicity windows version
ge lm90
controllers​
please forgive my ignorance on the details of these programs as I know very little about them.​
anyone know if there are windows mobile friendly versions of the interfacing applications listed above? any help, links, guidance is appreciated.​
bayareawheeler​
email: keithsta12 @ yahoo . com​
regards,​
kj​

I do not have a PDA, or personnally know anyone who has one they use in that type of application.

I really can't say that it can be done.

From the list of programs that you mentioned, I don't think that I would attempt it.

Th wireless laptop seems like the best choice here, to me.

Some PLC's have PDA programming options, but I can't say which ones for sure.

"Dad" probably needs all the resources he can get, so a stripped down version might night be very well suited.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
I would say No, since most of these applications need a full version of windows to operate. A standard PDA (Palm or Windows CE based) will just not do.

However, there are some options.
1, there are some very small laptops available that run full versions of windows. These are generally Japanese manufactured, and I have seen models from Toshiba and Sony for sale here in Australia. On the assumption that anything available in Australia can be got in the US, you could give these a go.
2, Siemens have a version of their PG available that is looks like, but is larger than, a normal PDA. It is also beefed up and can withstand being dropped a few times without damage. I don't know how much it costs, but PG panels seem to be made of solid platinum for the price they are charged at, and they may also be designed to spit out non Siemens software.

Still, these could be the best bets for your father.

The screen and keyboard ain't big enough now! One of those little horrors would drive me absolutely nuts!!!

Great as a telephone directory though.

They are surprising powerful , I've invested in an HP , , and it is pretty amazing what it can do - it does a pretty good job at playing cut down movies , there is no reason why it couldn't have some connectivity , DDE or ODBC , and straight into excel.

I've had decent luck running a VNC client on a PocketPC with built-in wifi. The VNC server runs back on your desktop/laptop/HMI/whatever.

We'll typically use a setup like this during an I/O checkout to toggle valves & other outputs via a VNC connection back to the operator interface.

-Trevor

UltraVNC is a great (and free!) VNC server. I prefer it to RealVNC because it has file-transfer capabilities.

Each of the above packages has both client & server apps included. I will typically leave a VNC server running on a machine's operator interface. This works out great for remote troubleshooting & instruction since I can see exactly what the operator sees.

During I/O checkout, we connect to the operator interface with VNCViewer for PocketPC . This will allow you to see an exact representation of the operator interface while you wander around toggling outputs & watching inputs.

Also, most VNC viewers will allow you to connect to a VNC server in both 'View-only' mode as well as 'Remote control' mode. View-only mode is great for remote monitoring by maintenance guys, plant engineers, etc.

-Trevor

I have an application where we are using RS View SE s/w and now we wish to incorporate PDAs WiFi enabled and obviously PDAs support win-CE platform and can i log into/access the RS View SE data and also operate like any other regular XP based desk-tops or no.