URGENT - invalid value for POINT in Cimplicity

pavel47

Hello,

I create little aplication just for testing connection
between PLC and Cimplicity project running on PC.

My setup is:
1. I created device point POINT1 and declared it as BOOL.
2. I created event that write 1 to it.
3. When I do this event in runtime, I receive system message:

Invalid setpoint value for point \\PROJECT\POINT1

What is wrong in my approach?

Thank you in advance.

Pavel.

I am not familiar with cimplicity but my first guess is that the value 1 is seen as an integer rather than a boolean 1 (1=true, 0=false). Perhaps Cimplicity would prefer an assignment such as POINT1 := true;

This is only a guess and, judging by my recent efforts at answering peoples questions, probably wrong.

Cimplicity not my main field but have seen it worked on.Check your point properties and see what it is looking to see happen i.e. react on change or read value.
Our Cimplicity guy off site at the moment but will ask him when I can.
When i get time its the next field I aim on conquering.

Thank you for answers.

To set point I use procedurs AbsoluteSetpoint as follows:

AbsoluteSetpoint(\\PROJECT\POINT1,0,GEF_NotConfirmed)

to set POINT1 to 0.
....Cimplicity would prefer an assignment such as POINT1 := true

When I change 0 for false (or true) it tells:
Warning: the value incompatible with the point \\PROJECT\POINT1
in CimEdit (not in runtime)

.....Check your point properties and see what it is looking to see happen i.e. react on change or read value.

POINT1 properties:
Data Type: BOOL
Elements: 1
Read only: NO

The value of POINT1 must be changed when I click on some object.
I associated procedure AbsoluteSetpoint with Mouse UP event on this object.

Not familiar with the term absolutesetpoint try and alter this to a virtual point and see if this changes the outcome. Will discuss with cimplicity guy when he is back in but hes in Italy till tuesday the lucky sod!!

How is cimplicity communicating with the PLC?

Whether OPC or DDE, many of these I/O servers have the ability to test a connection to the PLC. Can the I/O server connect to the PLC correctly?

What type of PLC is it and how has the address in the PLC been defined?

Sorry for asking questions when what you need is answers. But it might help people to solve this problem.

Kind Regards

Thanks for answers,

...try and alter this to a virtual point and see if this changes the outcome

With virtual point of the same type it works.

...Whether OPC or DDE, many of these I/O servers have the ability to test a connection to the PLC. Can the I/O server connect to the PLC correctly?
What type of PLC is it and how has the address in the PLC been defined?

For connection with PLC I use Siemens MPI OPC Server. It's true, there is utility to test connection. Its interface is described in Cimplicity Documentation, in chapter, destinated to OPC Servers:

1. Make sure your CIMPLICITY HMI project is running.
2. Click Start on the Windows task bar.
3. Select Programs>CIMPLICITY>HMI>OPC Server.
WindowCIMPLICITYHMIOPCServerBlank.png

But I don't see it in my installation???

I use Siemens S7-314C-2DP.
Address in PLC, I try to write to is: E0.0

It seems that in my Cimplicity installation I have no complete list of protocols. As follows from Cimplicity Documentation, for connection Cimplicity post with PLC, one should use MPI/OCFSERIAL protocol:
  1. From the Project menu, choose Properties. The Project Properties dialog box appears.
    <LI class=kadov-p-CNumList>On the General tab, in the Protocols list, select the MPI/OCFSERIAL check box.
  2. Click OK to finish. The Siemens MPI protocol is now available in your project and you can assign it to a port.
In my installation I have no MPI/OCFSERIAL. So, I selected "Siemens MPI" thinking that it's the same. Maybe it's wrong and maybe it's the origin of problem.

Pavel.