1746-HSRV Card

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a system that uses the 1746-HSRV card with an AB Servo and Ultra Series Motor controller. Trying to troubleshoot the system. Every time it is homing when it makes the home point prox, the estop relay on the termination card drops out. The card reports an error 25 in I:1.4. This says that the system tried homing while in EStop.

I still get this alarm even if I jumper out the overtravels and EStop. The Estop relay (pins 2-6 and 2-7) inside the 1746-HSRV is dropping out. Is there a way to look at the logic inside the card to figure out why?

Any help appreciated.

I have purchased the Ultra Master software and will try hooking up to the 1398-DDM-009 drive to see if that leads to any answers. Can I just use a null modem cable to connect?

Has anyone ever had any trouble with the terminal board 1746HT? I was wondering since the Emergency Stop relay drops out when the fast I/O makes if there could be some problem on the board drawing the voltage down.

glenncovington said:
I have purchased the Ultra Master software and will try hooking up to the 1398-DDM-009 drive to see if that leads to any answers. Can I just use a null modem cable to connect?

As I remember it, the cable for the Ultra series is a straight through serial cable. (DB9 male one end, DB9 female on the other.)It may be a little picky if you are not exactly sure on which comm port you are connected to.

Fortunately (or is that unfortunately) I have never done any thing with an HSRV card. Project I'm working on, I jsut went with a fast analog I/O and HSCE2. I was going to use an HSRV, but the PLC I had to work with would not handle it.

Dale

This problem has reared its ugly head again. I haved tried about everything to put this issue to bed, but no lasting luck. If you ever get the system to home it runs fine until the power goes out and the system requires homing again.

It is a **** shoot as to whether or not the system decides to home. I have tried to retune/detune the drive thinking it might be on the bitter edge (doubt it because it moves verrrry slowwwly..) Usually when in the middle of troubleshooting pulling what little hair I have left out, the thing will home one time. Too scared to try rehoming, leave and let production run until the next time.

We have replaced the termination panel, cable, and HSRV card. The 1398 drive reports no errors during homing until the termination panel drops it out when it hits the home limit switch reporting an estop condition. Not an external issue because the estop string is jumped out for testing. If I jump out the enable to the drive it stays on right past the homing switch. I really think it is something to do with the configuration/logic in the HSRV card.

Any more ideas?

I am unable to visualize what is happening from your statements but here are some troubleshooting tips for the HSRV
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/236B1C925A4BA86B85256C010071A4F9?OpenDocument

This explains "homing" for a 200 Series Ultra, its different for a 100 but the encoder wiring can be an importatnt issue, loss of signal can cause an ESTOP state.
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/097FFB8A2EC2B13785256AFB0062D5AC?OpenDocument

You have to reset the ESTOP then reinitiate the command signal, there has to be a reason for it to ESTOP that should be verifiable.

Another issue could be the setup, are you using a "marker" position then a home or start point?...ie if home position (start position) is the "marker" the encoder signals could go out of range and confuse the system....then it could be random luck if you got it to go "home".

I had these same type issues with a stepper system on a flexo press. My primary problem was bad encoder wiring.

We have used this type of setup on many machines and not have had that problem.

I would check what your Accel and Deccel are set for during the Homing sequence. If these are two high and the servos can not handle it, the servo will trip out. Since the servos are not kicking out during normal moves you should be able to set the Acc and Decc the same as the move paramters.

Sorry to be guessing on this, but on a recent Ultra series machine I worked on, which used a Micrologix 1000 PLC, the homing was initiated by a cycle of the power or E-stop. The homing input to the Ultra series drive was triggered by one PLC output, which the PLC logic outputted as a result of the home proximity switch turning on an input on the ML PLC. We did have some problems with it. One was in the programming for the PLC. The homing logic was in a file that was not always being scanned. There was also some issues with the wiring at a terminal block, where the small wires from the cable that plugs into the front of the Ultra series drive were not secure in the terminal block.

If the homing input is direct from a prox or limit switch, might look close into those and the wiring to/from such.

Also, with in the Ultra/BRU Master program for the servo drive, I believe you can monitor the input which tells the drive that it has reached HOME.
If it's a PLC output telling the servo drive that it's now home or needs to home, perhaps the output relay in the PLC is not always making contact.

I guess I'd start by watching the inputs online with the Ultra Master software and drive and go backwards from there.

Home Switch Problems?

Have you tried running your homing switch into a regular Input and setting the configuration so that it gets the homing switch through the back plane?

please share

glenncovington said:

Has anyone ever had any trouble with the terminal board 1746HT? I was wondering since the Emergency Stop relay drops out when the fast I/O makes if there could be some problem on the board drawing the voltage down.

Could you please share ULTRA Master software??

in advance thanks