Making the jump

CroCop

All,

I've been floating around end users for roughly 5 years, and have automated and maintained quite a few very different processes. I've done everything on multiple projects, i.e., concept to buy off, and I've been fairly happy. I've done small to medium systems, nothing over 200 IO points.

Now I find myself wanting to jump to the next level, and perhaps look at working for an OEM, or the such. I've got a AS in Electrical Automation, and half of an EE degree.

So how does one go about changing gears and making that jump?

I appreciate and welcome any and all comments, advice, and general banter about it.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Why not try searching careerpath.com, monster.com, oryahoo.com jobs.

Then there are the contract houses and engineering firms, who may have some leads.

Most outfits running 300+ I/O seem to want experience with 300-500 I/O and up.

I am not sure what is in Utah for industry.

I get a lot of calls for jobs in WI, MI, and GA.

regards.....casey

Marc,

Based on some of your responses I've quickly glanced at, you have obvious knowledge and experience in this industry.

What I would recommend is that you somehow complete the EE degree. For me, my degree got me "thru the door". I know it sounds easier said than done (mortgage, kids etc can complicate this). But if you've already completed half the courses, than half the work is done!! An electrical engineering degree is nothing to sneeze at, and may give you the leg up on the next guy who has equivalent experience.

Not to mention, if you get it completed, it will show your diligence at completing something you started, always a good
indicator of character and work ethic.

Just my 2 cents worth...

-Mike

Marc,

If you truly want to take a chance...maybe consider becoming your own OEM. Do you have an idea that is in your head or on paper that you havn't pursued? Develop that idea and market it.

We have a customer that found us through this forum who has been developing his product on the side for 2 years and will actually be visiting us this week to fine tune everything. He is to the stage now where it is time to market and sell his product. In that time, we have sold him two controllers and operator interfaces...and we have been there every step of the way in assisting him develop his product, using our controllers.

This is not an isolated situation. A number of our customers started off with an idea and a dream. Spending their "spare" time developing a product that they hope to sell and will address a need in the marketplace.

You can either work for someone else, or be your own boss. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Thank you for the advice. I put a resume in to a local OEM Friday and I have an interview on Wednsday. We'll see how that goes.