Light Curtains

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
After the usual pilot devices and outputs, switches, lights, starters, valves, and solenoids, the item that I've hooked up most to PLC's are Light Curtains.

Generally, I've used Banner, do to local marketing and company standard, in most cases.

What other brands do you guys use?

Anyone use Keyence?

regards.....casey

Banner's been great to work with for me. High quality product, good documentation, and we've got a decent sales rep near.

Are you looking to drop Banner? If so, why?

Kind of tend to stick with Sick. Not bad, but the need to configure them with software is a bit irritating (we hardly ever use any of advanced blanking and blocking functionality).

Have used several of the AB Guardsheild range. Easy to set up and quite tolerant of poor alignment.

(You get an indication for 'almost' aligned when in guard only mode which can be useful when setting up).

I once spent a happy weekend installing a light curtain on a de-palletising machine. Got the system installed (ie. bolted to the floor, connected up the safety circuit etc) and found that as soon as a pallet went into the machine the whole system stopped on emergency.

Funny thing was, when we reversed the chain to get the pallet out, the system didn't fault...

Yep, we'd been sent the wrong type of light guard. The one we had was for an outfeed and not an infeed...

Needless to say, many red faces on the Monday morning.. eek!

:)