Concept equivalent to A/B

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I would like to know what FFB in Concept would be the equivalent to the MOV instruction in RsLogix.

Thanks

I dont know about concept but in modsoft there is no MOV you use the ADD
Value 1 Add 0 store in Register x

D

Darren is right.
You Add 0 to a number or Sub 0 from the number.
You could use a block move BLKM with a length of 1 but BLKM is mainly designed for moving large amounts of data.

ADD and BLKM are 984 Ladder Logic commands not function blocks. Although their equivalents are available as function blocks in the LIB984 library

What is wrong with using the standard MOVE function block.

Maybe this shows my ignorance of Rockwell commands?

Jim,
In Rockwell PLCs you would use a MOV command for a single word or a COP command for moving a file or portion of a file, or a FAL command to move a file across multiple scans.

The very concept of "MOVING" a value from one memory location to another memory location is a basic, and fundamental computer concept. This is accomplished in any decent PLC by performing a simple MOVE operation.

Of course, each PLC has there own particular way of indicating a MOVE operation (MOV, MOVW, MOVE, COP, etc.). Some of those operations are by single-word only... others are by a range of words.

You simply have to become familiar with the particular tool names that exist for your particular PLC, and how they work. That means, take the Programmers Reference Manual home, crack a beer, settle down, and READ! Get serious, or get out!

That wasn't a SLAM... it was REALITY! Get Serious about this PLC stuff, or Get Out of this PLC stuff... let someone else handle it!

Are you up to it, or not?

If you can't get serious... hire a consultant to take care of your ills.

BTW, if you do, it's gonna cost your company a fortune... and doing so will make you look not so good. Again, get serious, or get out! Neither you, nor your company can afford to have you less than serious!

This stuff is too dangerous for the casual participant!

Terry Woods said:
The very concept of "MOVING" a value from one memory location to another memory location is a basic, and fundamental computer concept. This is accomplished in any decent PLC by performing a simple MOVE operation.

Of course, each PLC has there own particular way of indicating a MOVE operation (MOV, MOVW, MOVE, COP, etc.). Some of those operations are by single-word only... others are by a range of words.

You simply have to become familiar with the particular tool names that exist for your particular PLC, and how they work. That means, take the Programmers Reference Manual home, crack a beer, settle down, and READ! Get serious, or get out!

That wasn't a SLAM... it was REALITY! Get Serious about this PLC stuff, or Get Out of this PLC stuff... let someone else handle it!

Are you up to it, or not?

If you can't get serious... hire a consultant to take care of your ills.

BTW, if you do, it's gonna cost your company a fortune... and doing so will make you look not so good. Again, get serious, or get out! Neither you, nor your company can afford to have you less than serious!

This stuff is too dangerous for the casual participant!

I don't know Jeff, but in his defense its quite possible that he is an experienced programmer (he's been around the board since 2002) who was just handed a job and told to do it in Concept. He obviously knew what he had to do and he knew what instruction he would use in the PLCs he knew - he was asking for the equivalent instruction - not how to do it. The Schneider/Modicon web site it notoriously difficult to navigate and finding documentation there is a royal pain in the butt. I felt the same way the first time I had to program a Modicon back in '99, it was an exercise in frustration at first. Finding online documentation sucks and if he doesn't have a book, he could be in for a struggle, especially if he is programming a Quantum in FFB as opposed to 984LL. (personally, I think 984LL is also a pain in the butt with its 7-11 grid and lack of a file structure, but that's just my opinion, I know people who really like it)

That said, at least in Proworx the program help utility is excellent - I do not know how helpful Concept help is.

Also, how does hiring a consultant make you not look good? Unless your manager is an imbecile, he has to realize that no one knows everything. As standard operating procedure I always hire an outside consultant to review my designs, and I've been praised by my boss for doing so. You would have us believe that what we do can be dangeous (and no one will dispute that) but then make it out to be a bad idea to get help.

This stuff is too dangerous for the arrogant participant! - so lets not perpetuate that it is a bad idea to hire a consultant.

Last edited:
All of the Modicon, including Concept, manuals can be found on-line at http://www.telemecanique.com.

Concept help is not bad except it does not have any "real life" examples of the functions. It, and the manuals also, only have descriptions, so complicated functions like PID are a real pain to figure out.

Jim Dungar said:
Then MOVE is the equivalent Concept function block.

I haven't used Concept in a while but as I remember, you can only move with the same data types. Basically you can't move an integer into a float and vice versa. You would have to use one of them type conversion function first. This really sucks since it makes the screen that much more busier. I think the same is true for functions such as add, subtract, etc.

Most data type conversions will also perform an equivalent move function.

Most operations on variables must be performed on the same type of variable. There are some extended math functions that will allow you to add float and integer with the end result of a float (just like the old 984LL commands).
If you are using direct addressing of located variables then the MOVE command always works.

Get Serious?

Terry,

Thanks for your reply. I admit, posting such a simple question shows my lack of seriousness.

To all others who took the time reply to such a silly question, "THANKS".

Now for the rest of the story.........(thanks, Paul Harvey)

I've been assigned to a project where I will be using Modicon's Quantum line of hardware and Concept v2.6 programming software. I will also be using a couple of SEW Movidrives talking thru profibus for positioning a carriage and hoist. I have six weeks to learn and program a PLC I've never layed eyes on before. I have downloaded the demo version of Concept 2.5 (at home to play with in my spare time) and am making a little headway. I have downloaded and printed the 811 page manual for the quantam line of hardware, and the complete manual for Concept programming software.

Our customer for this project has agreed to supply all the hardware and software. It seems they had some of the stuff laying around for spares and decided to save a few $$. That being the case, I won't have anyone local representing Modicon to lean on when I need a little help.

I am sure there will be more questions asked of you guys in the near future. I do hope some of you take the time to answer my "less then serious" questions.

Stiff upper lip...

Jeff,
Firstly, you are in the right place for what ever help you will need with this problem. There are many people here willing to share there vast amounts of knowlege with anyone who is showing effort (or serious) about their project.
Secondly, possibly the question for one person seems overwelming, while for another it would seem quite basic. However, if you had explained in more detail your whole story from the begining, it may have been better received.
Finaly, you have been here long enough to know that once you weed through the attitude, Terry can be of great help. As he said I don't think it was meant as a slam or a personal attack on your character.
Good luck

Jeff,

I am not aware of there being a single Concept manual for v2.5/6. You need to download several (I think 4-5) individual manuals. Personally I like to use the Help file for block libraries much more than the hard copies. When chosing functions I usually use the "sort by all" choice rather than trying to figure out what is in each library. Now if they would just start providing actual examples.

A good on-line source for applications and literature is the Knowledge Base at http://eclipse.modicon.com.