PLC2s and DH+

sloybs

Here's another one of those ugly PLC2 questions......:) I'm trying to replace a T30 interface and I've come across a 1785-KA3 module that allows the PLC2 to be put on a DH+ network. However, Allen-Bradley says emphatically that PLC2s are not supported by standard PanelViews. My question is why wouldn't I be able to use a standard PanelView with DH+ to talk to the PLC2?

Thanks for any information you all can provide.

Scott

Last edited:
I'm speculating here -

The PLC-2 does not have data types like later A-B processors, ie. separate memory areas for integers, timers, processor status, and so on.

The most likely answer is that the panelview does not have knowledge of the PLC-2 octal addressing scheme and therefore is incapable of formatting a correct DH message to the 2. Hence, the "PLC2s are not supported by standard PanelViews" response.

Most T30's were connected using RIO (as I recall). A RIO PanelView should be able to work with your PLC2. Of course, nothing from the T30 will transfer or be of any use on the PanelView.

Don't use Panelview

Other HMI options have PLC-2 support such as CTC, PanelMate and many of the PC based software such as Indusoft (which is private labeled sold through companies like Advantech and others). I believe Kepware has PLC-2 support as well so you could use anything that supports OPC.

Back
Top Bottom