PLC to Web page

coda9753

Wow i'm really inquisitive today.
I'm trying to get data from an AB processor to a Web page using OPC or the like. And actually i know how to get data to an Excel spreadsheet or for that matter VB. But i can't figure out how to take it the next step into a web page.

I know AB has modules you can buy to do similar functions but i'd like to do it through code.

The PLC i'm using is a CompactLogix.

HTML Table

Sometimes when I want to post an excel table to a web page I will just put the data to a simple text file in HTML table format. That way it will look just like it does in excel without having excel. You can do a search online for HTML tables its not hard at all if you can work with files in VB. If this sounds like it will work I can post some samples.

No i'm not sure if that is what i'm looking for. End result is i want live PLC data inside a web page. The only reason i mentioned the excel example was to show that i can extract data using OPC/DDE.

Really what i think i need is a way of getting OPC data into a web page, cause i can get the data into OPC.

But hey thanks for the reply i appreciate it

If you want to program something yourself I would look into ASP.NET You can program ASP.Net applications in VB.

If you are looking for something off the shelf, Wonderware has application called SuiteVoyager that can port InTouch windows to HTTP.

Some options

Check out www.ergotech.com as one option.

There are also third party products that connect PLC's to the Net and then you write your code in the web page, or you may be able to find code snippets on the net or in articles that you can put in your page. There are also products for purchase that do this, but they are quite pricey.

If you don't need the OPC layer for something else, it is often extra work to add it and extra $$. There are options that don't require it.

In our application, we use a SoftPLC (rather than an A-B) and we have a routine in the PLC that can read/write directly to web pages AND a SQL database over the ethernet using Java code that runs in the SoftPLC.