Omron vs Allen Bradley

rbradley

Hey folks, I am a new-comer to this site. I have 15+ years experience working with 100% Omron based machinery but recently experienced a corporate downsizing. I have since accepted employment in an AB environment with a lot of the older PLC-2's. While ladder logic is ladder logic, is there any good (but simple) publication that will assist me in the conversion of working with CPT software on a laptop to now working with an AB Terminal?

Whoa!!! That is a big question. The two types of PLC have different function lists and you will find that timers, for example, have to be reset in one and only turned off to reset in the other.
You will also find that generally functions from one PLC brand to another behave similarly but there are often differences.
What you are experiencing is nothing more than we all experience when going from the comfort zone of a PLC we know very well to a PLC that we do not know at all. It is all part of the learning experience and hopefully you will enjoy the challenge.
beerchug

I recognize there are definite differences in the two and I am up for the challenge. I am primarily looking for documentation to assist me with the process of becoming familiar with the AB terminal.

What kind of "A-B Terminal" are you using ? I am dimly aware of the T30, T50 and T45 dedicated-purpose programming terminals for the older PLC families, but they've been superceded for so long by PC-based software that there is very little information (or expertise) remaining on them. Your Omron software experience is almost certainly more modern than anything on the PLC-2, which was out of general use a decade ago.

A company called Australian Global Exchange (www.austglobal.net) makes a programming package for the PLC-2 that is reportedly superior to anything that A-B or Rockwell Software put out in the old days; you might consider getting that software and interface device if they support the controller models you have. Having PC-based software is worth the investment just as insurance for the day your hardware programming terminal blinks out.

There are a suprising number of PLC-2 manuals available online at the A-B manuals site: www.ab.com/manuals

assist me in the conversion of working with CPT software on a laptop to now working with an AB Terminal?
If, by AB terminal, you mean a T3 (I hope it's not a T1!) then you are taking a great leap backward. I would suggest weight training at your local gym to prepare yourself for lugging that terminal and the accompanying tape deck around your plant.

Most of the manuals pertaining to the use of the old terminals are likely out of print now, so good luck!

Aside to Ken: the T30 was an OI device (80's predecessor of PanelView), not a programming terminal.