Devicenet Config with Schnieder MCC I/O

radar

I am attempting to configure a Devicent 1747-SDN offline to communicate with a SquareD MCC. The MCC is using TSX Momentum 170 ADM 540 80 6point in / 3 point out modules with a 170 LNT 710 00 Devicent adapter.

According to all that I can find out from Schnieder, each of these small I/O racks is calling for 32 bytes in and out for polled data, which appears to force you to use Modbus and waste discrete and M memory to set it up.

Has anyone had experience with this, just wondering if I have to use all of this memory for a few I/O points, or maybe it will allow something different when online ???

Is the adapter a badged AnyBus device? i.e. a DeviceNet to ModBus gateway?

I had some unhappy experience with one of those interfacing to Telemecanique (Schneider) combo starters. As long as you used the default config for 8 starters and actually had 8 connected, it worked fine (32 bytes in/out). Had to jump through many hoops to get it to accept any config other than default (for less than 8 starters) and even then it was extremely flakey. Even trying to restore the default config was difficult.

From what little information I have gathered specific to the adapter, it appears that it only offers connectivity since all of the I/O modules detail a Modbus communication style. I was hopefull that I might be reading this wrong, but afraid it is exactly as you had done with a Devicenet connection to a modbus communication scheme, what a waste of scanner memory ! Thanks.

Gerry said:
Is the adapter a badged AnyBus device? i.e. a DeviceNet to ModBus gateway?

I had some unhappy experience with one of those interfacing to Telemecanique (Schneider) combo starters. As long as you used the default config for 8 starters and actually had 8 connected, it worked fine (32 bytes in/out). Had to jump through many hoops to get it to accept any config other than default (for less than 8 starters) and even then it was extremely flakey. Even trying to restore the default config was difficult.

This is what the thing I worked with looks like.

dnetmb.jpg

Gerry,

Appreciate the reply, finally found out that this module happens to have a port for Modbus Messaging or Mastering, and therefore requires the 16 words in and out to set up Modbus, even if you don't use it.

Would it not be beneficial to you just to remove the momentum and install a AB product..I know it sound silly but the time wasted trying to make it work would probably offset the cost of a new controller..

D