S7-400 Items selection Help

shady_yehia

Hey guys. This is my first time to deal with Siemens S7 PLC and I'm supposed to select the items required for a quite large project. I'm not familiar at all with Siemens S7-400H system so I need your help to tell me if I missed something..

You will find in the attached file a list of the items that I thought it is enough to put the system on its feet, and I'd like to note that the system is required to have two redundant CPUs and four serial ports for connecting MMIs to it.

Please advice if you find anything missing..

Thanks in advance

I've had a look at the list but can't really help you without knowing a LOT more about the project.

However, what I always do is talk to my supplier in situations like this. Explain the job that you need to do and let them spec you the best gear. They are always more than happy to help (its sales to them after all)

Good luck

JT :)

Hi

first u need the rack to be u2rh this is the only one acceptable for the redundancy

u need a power suppply on each rack

synch modules should be 4

syn cables should be 2

for the i/o :

u will construct rack of ET200M each rack shall consist of redundant im153-2 bundle and 8 i/o modules ,note that these are s7 300 compnents
u need active bus modules to connect the modules
u need profibus bus connectors to connect the im to the central controllers

as for the communication i will need to understand what u are willing to do

best regards
amr

Last edited:
i hope things was that easy.. the supplier is off friday and saturday and sunday this week.. i must get these things done before saturday morning in egypt..

there is actually nothing much to say about the project.. i'll give u the I/O count:
DI: 160
DO: 96
AI: 64
RTD: 48

and i added about 20% spare points

i'm planing to use a 18 slot central rack where i wish to put the two redundant CPUs and two 18 slot expansion racks "check for me plz if these racks i selected is right"..

no PID no Motion control.. it should be a simple system to program..

tell me if there is a specific question in ur mind.. all i want to know is: "Is there is something vital i'm not considering".. i'm using siemens catalog CD to select the items and i don't have any manuals in the moment.. the CD is not giving much info about the important considerations..

thank you for ur help.. waiting for more

Last edited:
Amr hassan.. i didn't read ur reply before i send my last post..

i don't need to use profibus.. its a single PLC system.. all the i/o will be connected to one control panel.. i only need redundant CPUs.. i don't need redundant i/o cards.. i.e. each I/O will be connected to one point in one card..

JesperMP said:
I really really advice you to take a course in S7.
S7 generally takes some ting to learn.
S7-400H will be much more difficult.

I'm shady's partner in this project .

The problrm about courses is that I read here in this forum many prople saying that S7-200 is different to S7-300 and also S7-400 has more and moer differences!

So, Can a quick training course on S7-200 do the job? or perhaps an S7-200 starter kit and a "self-training" course like all the things I learned in Automation?

So, Can a quick training course on S7-200 do the job? or perhaps an S7-200 starter kit and a "self-training" course like all the things I learned in Automation?
S7-300 and S7-400 are relatively similar.
But S7-200 has very little in common with S7-300 and S7-400.

I dont know so much about S7-400H.
Doesnt it require an option to be installed in STEP7 ? If so, I would guess that example projects are installed together with the option package.

u have an i/o card that should be connected to two controllers , the only way is using the im 153-2 bundle
i have implemented an h project before and iam quite sure about i am saying
check the manuals first
u did not answer the communcations with the mmi ? what kind of mmi and what is the relation between them

Ayman

s7-300 is similar to 400 but different than 200

so may be u need a starer kit for 300 or may be u can purchase the plcsim software and run it on the simatic manager