Communication SLC5/05 to LAPTOP

WallyPrestone

Hello,
I would like to know the cable and hook up to communicate from SLC5/05 to LAPTOP using RSLINK Software
AB Technical suggested use 1747-CP3 (RS-232 Cable ) Would like to know the hook up with ENET cable
Thanks

Well, if you have a hub connect both the PLC and PC to the hub otherwise you need a cross over cable to go directly from the PC to the PLC, then manually set your PCs IP address to the same range as the PLC,ex 192.168.0.2 for PLC 192.168.0.15 for PC and when you go to Setup Comms in RSLinx you need both of these IP adresses in the table.

you can try using a "cross-over" cable from Office Depot or Radio Shack ... most people prefer using two "straight-through" Ethernet cables and a small Ethernet hub ...

do you know the IP address of the SLC-5/05? ... if not, the best way to find it (or to set it) is usually to go through the RS-232 port ... THEN try to use the Ethernet port ... there's a way to set it using the BOOTP utility ... but that's getting a little more complicated ... you're not looking for complications - are you?

and welcome to the forum ...

Wally ... is that you trying to reach me through my company's website? ... if so send me your phone number and I'll try to talk you through this ... it's not hard - but it's more than I have time to type right now ... I'm only available for the next hour or so ... hurry ...

STOP!!!!!

do NOT connect the PIC to the front of an SLC-5/05 ... the plug will fit - but the connection can damage the SLC - the PC - or both ...

send me your phone number in a Private Message - I'll pay for the call ...

note: my boss says someone named Wally Pham is trying to reach me through the company website ... I'm not online with that server ... you can't reach me that way until next week ...

Personally, I would recommend using the hub and straight through cables route. I have seen the cross through method not work on some laptops (probably at least a dozen times).

Don't ask me why.

I’m trying to piece all of this together from about three or four posts - in several threads - and an email which my boss received over the company website - from someone named Wally Pham ... same guy????? ...

my best guess is that our new member needs to know the IP address of the SLC-5/05 ... and then how to set up the proper driver in RSLinx ... I’m busy setting up the lab for next week’s classes so I can’t spare the time to type up all of the steps necessary ... but I can do it in a phone call ... that’s the best that I can offer - and the boss will pay for the call ...

ok ... I think that we've got it taken care of ... Wally called me ... we found the IP address of his SLC-5/05 in a recently saved offline file ... he's going to try to "ping" the IP address and confirm that the hardware is ok ... I walked him through setting up the Ethernet driver in RSLinx ... and he's going out on the plant floor to check everything out ...