SLC 5/05 IP addressing settings

ckchew666

Hi,

I'm using a SLC 5/05 CPU in a project. I've plug in the battery into the CPU and donwload the program. I've use BootP Server to set the IP address.

Everytime upon power down the SLC 5/05 CPU, the CPU seems cannot communicate with my notebook for RSLogix 500 purpose. I must open the BootP Server and re-enter the IP address & MAC address for the SLC CPU.

The ladder program has Channel 1 IP configured 192.168.118.50.
My notebook is 192.168.118.99

How can we set the IP address into the CPU correctly?

Thanks.

disable BootP, that's the problem.
either you use static addresses (assigned manually) or bootp
but never both. make sure that subnet mask on your pc is correct as well (255.255.255.0 will probably be ok for the addresses you gave us).
if you look at the subnet mask as binary numbers, all "1" must be on the left and all "0" on the right. where subnet mask has "1", this part of the IP address must be same for all nodes. where subnet mask is "0", address must be unique.
so with mask 255.255.255.0, first three numbers must be same
(in your case 192.168.118.__) while the last number must be unique (in your case 50 and 99).
if you enter wrong subnet mask, it still might be possible to get connection (with various degrees of success) but even if it works, it will likely be very very slow.