S7 - Missing Symbol Table in ProTool

RMA

I made a copy of my ProTool program in order to use it as a basis for changing the Tag access to use arrays as mentioned in another Thread. After copying the file and integrating it in Step7, I discovered that there were no Symbols available. I thought I'd solved the problem by using the command to relink the Symbols in the Edit menu - one way or another I managed it, anyway, because I've now got my symbols available.

Now I wanted to make some changes in the original version of the program and now the Symbols are missing there as well! Only this time, when I try to relink them, I get a message saying that there is no Symbol file available.

Can somebody remind me how to get my Symbols back, before I go nuts!

For STEP7, you can open the symbol table simultanopusly for the latest project file, and for the previous (good one).
Simply copy all the symbols from one symbol table to the other.

I dont know if that also means that they will reappear in Protool.

You probably already checked this but here is my solution.

Check the controller settings. (Parameter button) If your display is connected to profibus or mpi make sure it is selected properly. I noticed that after some operations the controller settings can be changed. After editing the controller settings you can use the restore symbols function. Now the symbol table must be present again.

True story. I just don't like the way it makes you try to re-save the project when choosing to re-integrate the project with the step7 project

True story. I just don't like the way it makes you try to re-save the project when choosing to re-integrate the project with the step7 project
That's where I always chicken out! Maybe I'll make myself a fresh back-up and try it. So far I've always been in the middle of something and didn't have an uptodate back-up available.

For STEP7, you can open the symbol table simultanopusly for the latest project file, and for the previous (good one).
Simply copy all the symbols from one symbol table to the other.

I dont know if that also means that they will reappear in Protool.

The problem is purely within ProTool, both ProTool versions are inside the same Project (as is a third version for the Laptop).

The annoying thing is that this has happened to me a few times and I've always managed to get the symbols back into ProTool somehow - but afterwards I can never remember how! This time, when I finally get there, I'll post the result here so that I can do a search for it next time!

s7200 sf indicator led?

hi
any people is how to know tt why this led(sf) is indicating on my device. No act term n run led.
could u throw a response to my email adr. [email protected]

Last edited:
Update

Quote:

That's where I always chicken out! Maybe I'll make myself a fresh back-up and try it. So far I've always been in the middle of something and didn't have an uptodate back-up available.
I made myself a new backup and tried to relink the ProTool Program with the CPU, as described in the help file. Apart from it wanting a different MPI address for this version of the program (which seems fair enough) everything seemed to go smoothly, except that when I clicked OK to finish I didn't get the message described in the help file informing me that I could now relink the Symbols. Sure enough, when I tried it - same old message, no Symbol Table found! :(

All I do to get the symbol table back is File->integrate into step 7 project.

I browse then to the TDOP folder, and find the first pdb, the one without 000 or 001. I click okay, and then it will ask me to save the project. I save it as someting like rev2 or so affixed to the end.

You then have to click on the PLC, select the first one configured, and in prefrences, I choose the first cpu progrm, on the ET-200M ( we use fibre here). And then save. It asks for a different address, no biggie, I set it back to 1 afterwards during the download.

Then restore symbols, and you should be set.
To change back to address one, ALT+F+D+P, select address one.
Download and you should be sitting pretty.

RMA, excuse my ignorance, but are you talking about the symbols in the S7 project?

If so, you can find that file if you just click on the "Programs" folder in your project in Simatic Manager. On the right you'll then see Sources, Blocks and Symbols. You can right click on Symbols and Copy and then open your other project and paste...

Not sure if I've even understood your question correctly though so this answer may just be gibberish.... (it's nearly friday)

Cheers

JT

@jwall

I thought that was more or less what I'd done, except that I didn't rename it but (over)wrote to the same file. It's getting a bit late today so I'll go through it step by step tomeorrow.

@Johnny

No it's not me that's lost the Symbol Table, ;) it's ProTool. When I try to relink the Symbols for using ProTool integrated in Step7, ProTool complains that it can't find the Symbol file.

Roy.
Just want to check that the Protool project is properly "connected" to the PLC.
When you open the controller properties, it must specifically point to the PLC. It is not OK to use the "define the settings yourself" option or similar.
ALso check in NetPro if the Protool project is connected to the same network as the PLC is connected to.

Back in business!

Well that was that! Following jwall's instructions to the letter solved the problem, except that the .pdb file without the _001 or_002 extension turned out to be the stripped down copy for the laptop that I made a few weeks ago, however it wasn't too much of a problem to find the right one using mouse over and then checking the file details.

@Jesper,

I thought you might be onto something with the Netconfig idea because I knew I hadn't done anything there. When I checked, I was surprised to discover that the new ProTool project already existed in Netconfig. I then checked again after my two attempts this morning and sure enough, each time the new project was already connected in Netconfig. I assume it gets done automatically when you configure the PLC connection during the integration procedure.

At least next time it happens to me I'll know where to find the answer.

Thanks guys!

Cheers

Roy

Jesper, RMA, and I, do you guys want to start an HMI consulting firm worldwide??? lol

You can cover Europe, and I'll grab N/Am