Eithernet

mrm37

I am using all AB devices. I have a DH+ network on paper that I am supposed to be installing in the plants. I am starting to play with eithernet and am wondering which is better to use as the network?

mrm37 said:
Simply, is it better to stick with DH+ or go eithernet?

Do you have an installed network of either one?
Do you currently use processors/adapters capable of communicating over either of the networks?
What processor types are you planning on communicating with?
What are you planning on doing with this network (programming/messaging/scada???)
How much traffic do you expect on the network?

There are a lot of factors that will determine the "best" solution.

Ethernet is better, but it depends on the following.

How many plc's in project, if only a few & they are DH+ then use this, if you have a choice go for ethernet as this can sit on any standard factory wide network if there is one, also a lot faster.

only advantage of DH+ is in small networks low cost, easy to setup

Disadvantages only 64 nodes, slow compared to ethernet.

mrm37 said:
I am using all AB devices. I have a DH+ network on paper that I am supposed to be installing in the plants. I am starting to play with eithernet and am wondering which is better to use as the network?
If you are using Controllogix , I would say go with ethernet,especially you want to have network I/O in your project.
we are doing more and more projects using ethernet I/O in the States now and the customers just like it. One benefit of ethernet : you can debug your machine through high speed internet using VPN.
If you are using SLC series, stay with DH+.

All our new installations use Ethernet. We have done several conversions from SLC 5/04s (DH+) to SLC 5/05 (Ethernet) from existing plants, often in conjunction with the installation of a SCADA. As was said earlier in the thread, clients love it because it's easy, cheap, robust and makes upwards system integration significantly easier. Plus, the bandwidth available means the network can be expected to last several generations of PLC if necessary!