Siemens SM331 and SM332 Analog Modules

sherman4

Hello !

This might sound like a simple question to all Siemens Gurus... I want to execute some "bench test" with an S7-314 PLC. I have attached an Analog Input Module and an Analog Output module to the PLC. I have carefully set the measuring range cards on the leftside of the AI module, and I have placed them correctly on the rail with their extension connectors.

I have correctly setup the hardware configuration on Step7.

Problem is: Everytime I power the PLC up, both analog Input and Output modules' LEDs become red. I wonder If they are doing so because I have not attached the frontal 20-poles connectors to them, but in the other modules I have installed so far show no errors (Digital Inputs and outputs from the CPU).

Is it a requirement to attach and wire the frontal connectors so that you can carry on with testing your software before connecting the real signals from the field?

References for the AI: 6ES7 331-7KF02-0AB0 and AO: 6ES7 332-5HD01-0AB0. I have not been able to find a Documentation with troubleshooting guide for the AI/AO setup.

Please help. Thank you very much.

Hello sherman4;

You can downlad the following manual from siemens, website:

"Programmable Logic Controllers S7-300 Module Data"

Now, at least in the case of the analog output module, a 24V power connection is absolutely required on the front connector, so that would give you a fault (and a red LED); I am not sure why you would have one on the analog input card, though.

Why don't you look at the diagnostics buffer of the CPU? It should give you information on the cause of the failure of the modules.

Hope this helps,

Daniel Chartier

Daniel... I believe your link is broken. Can you send me a copy of that document?.. If so, I can PM you my personal E-mail.

Thanks.

Sh

welcome to the site
please post seperately as a new post in future
set the Card as a 10V output and measure the voltage
or do the math - load the output op with a 1.2K resistor or higher
this is asuming an input voltage of 24V dc