Changing/adjusting an "Electronic cam"

plcnewbie

I have been given the task of adjusting an "electronic cam" and dont quite know where to start. We have a machine that wraps product and has a rotating cutting head on it that spins as product is moved through on a conveyor to cut the wrap between each product and it seems to be possibly pulling the product at the beginnning of the turn and then settles down...
I am using RSLX5000 and would like to know even where to start or if I have even provided enough info so far to get started?

Thanks

I'm going from memory here...there'll be an MAPC or MATC(?) instruction. Probably the former (motion axis position cam). It basically connects two axes via an electronic cam.
I think you can double-click the cam argument within the instruction and the cam is displayed graphically. The points of the cam can then be dragged around. If you have an equation that the cam points can follow, then an excel set of data can be imported. Sorry this is sketchy, but it's been a while, and now work for one of the 'other' PLC manufacturers so can't get access to logix5K

Thinking about it, there's a CAM data type and a CAM_PROFILE data type - not sure which is relevant to your application.

Pp

Last edited:
Is this adjustment something that needs to be done by operators as and when they decide? Or is it a permanent change that you want to make?

there's a CAM data type and a CAM_PROFILE data type
The CAM array contains the co-ordinates for the cam profile. The MCCP instruction takes this array as input and produces a CAM_PROFILE array, which is used by the MAPC instruction.

Expanding on what Gerry has said, you will need to find the section of code, look for the appropriate MCCP instruction, find the name of the cam array that is used, determine the cam array point that needs altering (you can graphically view the profile) figure out where the cam array is altered/calculated/imported then modify this value. I would recommend if you are not confident of this then call in someone experienced.
Regards Alan Case

Ok my curiosity is aroused.
What the heck is an electronic cam??
I am familiar with cam action type limit switches but I would think these are just basically mechanical cams with a switch hooked to it.

Is this electronic basically the same ie a cam actuated sensing swithc with a bunch of electronics "attached"

Dan Bentler

Position lock camming lets you have one master servo axis control the position of a following servo axis through a cam table which is fully adjustable allowing non-linear electronic gearing between the two axes. The table is a list of master axis positions and the corresponding slave axis positions.