internal architecture of a typical plc

top cat

T
hello was just wondering if anyone could help me by describing the internal archtecture of a typical plc....? as you can probably guess i'm not an expert.
thanx....

top cat said:
hello was just wondering if anyone could help me by describing the internal archtecture of a typical plc....? as you can probably guess i'm not an expert.
thanx....
"HNC course exactly right" found some help on site tho thanx very much..

internal architecture of a PLC

Please can you explain the internal architecture of a plc.

Allen,

In our circles it's called the resident smoke.

top cat, Whatever you do, do not release the resident smoke. Once you let any amount of resident smoke from your device, (no matter how little) the device will stop working and you will have to send it in to get a smoke re-charge. Some times a recharge can cost as much as a whole new device.

Last edited:
Modern micro controllers are almost PLCs on a chip, lacking only the ladder logic to make them work.
When I was drunk, suffering from feaver, or not able to sleep, I would sometimes toy with the idea of writing software to provide ladder logic for a PIC or HC11.
Sooner or later someone would do it.

Doug

My experience has been that it sometimes costs two to three times the price of a new unit to recharge one.

Never under any circumstances release resident smoke when higher levels of management are present. After the resident steam release is cleared up, reports and meetings usually follow.

Resident Smoke leakage is acceptable in an older vacuum tube (hollow state) plc, as it can self absorb when the fleming valves are cracked opened just a little. WARNING, Control Voltage can be dangerously high.

Years ago, a local electronics supply house had a problem with excessive encapsulated smoke leakage. The young (READ low pay) counter help discovered what happens when you connect 12 volt fence charger batteries with low ohm and low wattage resistors. Eventually the batteries died, and the leakage stopped.

regards......casey

top cat, Whatever you do, do not release the resident smoke. Once you let any amount of resident smoke from your device, (no matter how little) the device will stop working and you will have to send it in to get a smoke re-charge. Some times a recharge can cost as much as a whole new device.

Funny story actually.

For the life of me I couldnt get this servo drive to work, it was a really mysterious problem, so the shop supervisor comes over and thought he would give me a hand checking wiring. He moved some wires around put power back on..... and then a little puff of smoke comes out of the drive, After which we both soiled our pants. Took it out, tested it on the bench, it worked, and is still in production today.

Turns out the original problem was that the 5V power supply needed a tweak from 5.3V to 5.7V... friggn ultra 3000's

I wouldnt mind knowing where that resident smoke came from though

Steve,

I've had the same thing happen to me also. Apparently some high quality devices have a resident smoke reserve. Be sure to recharge your device when you get a chance to maintaine the proper reserve level of RS (Resident Smoke). This may prevent a future shutdown in the event that any more RS is released.

Mike