Using GMS in RTU's

Hi,

Can one share your experience in the below matter. We are in a project where we have 84 Remote Stations, and each will have one plc with GSM modem. And as a event occurs in a RTU the same would trigger a sms to Central station. At central station we need to read this sms and do data logging and alarm management.

The concept is ok, but im worried if all 84 station sends sms at same time will the central station work properly?? and do i need to have 3 or 4 gsm modem connected to different com ports in central station?

Kindly share your views

Cheers
saravanan

I can only speak to what I am familar with with the products we promote.

Each GSM modem would have it's own IP address.

I would have to say that the amount of data coming in will depend on your front end and how it handles the data. You will want some sort of HMI package that will allow you to identify devices by IP addresses. With each modem having it's own IP address, this will enable you to identify each piece of information.

Your application will also depend on your receiver. Does it have a buffer for accepting additional messages and reading them in a FIFO method?

Hi stephen,

Yes front end will be iFIX and which will poll the data from various RTU's on FIFO basis. And the polling will be scheduled to read each IP at equal intervals. And when ever a manual updation is required polling will be stopped from auto mode to manual mode and later the same would be updated manually.

Im looking for the precautions to be taken care

bye
saravanan

I cannot help you with iFix because I do not use it if I have a choice. Would use Citect every time.

I know Citect woirks very well in this way. Citect have alledgedly the largest SCADA system in the world at Olympic Dam in Australia. 10 redundant servers, AB PLC's, lots of remotes that are polled via modem and send their own messages back. Reports I have are that there is in excess of 1 million tags.

Apparently, the scan rate is better than 2 seconds for the whole system.

www.citect.com