PLC <> Bluetooth <> PC

I use it with Omron CJ1. Absolutely fantastic, and a very capable PLC too while I'm on it.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work with others, though.

Thanks paraffin power

But does USB-Bluetooth adapter create then virtual COM port for PC which is used by programing software?

Regards
Lauri

This will probably NOT work with other PLC's. The Omron 9 pin RS232 port on the processor does not have a "standard" pinout. Pin 6 will supply +5vdc to the adapter. Pin 9 is ground (not pin 5).

Hope this helps.

gtsuport

This will probably NOT work with other PLC's. The Omron 9 pin RS232 port on the processor does not have a "standard" pinout. Pin 6 will supply +5vdc to the adapter. Pin 9 is ground (not pin 5).
Agreed but one could probably make up an "adaptor" cable. Wish they had one that would fit the peripheral port though. Quite often use the serail port for screens.

I wonder if they will work with other Omron PLCs with serial ports? Would have to work at a lower speed if they will work at all.

Bob,

Just quickly reviewed the manual for the adapter. Based on the information there, it might work. This looks like a fairly generic device (not made by Omron). They do offer power adapters so the pin 6 power thing may not be a problem (per your suggestion of adapter cable).

Manual does make reference to using standard Hayes AT commands for communication.

Would be nice to have one to try!

gtsuport

Bob
I use a programming cable in the periperal port, then the bluetooth wotsit. I use it at 19200 without problem.
By the way - you were bloody lucky in the last Ashes test!!!

Lauri - exactly - just point the programming software to COM 5, or what ever it is.

paraffin power said:
Bob
I use a programming cable in the periperal port, then the bluetooth wotsit. QUOTE]

I am interested in using the wirless unit.

Are you saying that you CAN use the Omron Serial/Bluetooth adapter in the peripheral port by connecting the OMRON programming cable CS1W-CN226 to the PLC peripheral post and connecting the the blutooth adapter at the DB9 end of the OMRON cable?

Does the above arrangement support passthrough programming to the Serial port of the PLC for NS Touchscreens? [I have an NS10 touchscreen attached to the Serial port of a CJ1M-CPU21}.

I try to force customers touse ethernet nowadays. And most cases ii is OK for them. Still, I can see some opportunity to use it for SCADA systems (100m > 15m RS-232). Bluetooth should be very reliable. I read once that it is accepted even by military (or some kind of Bluetooth at least).

Probably the prices will drop after few years and this solution is as expensive/cheap as branded RS232 cable.

Last edited:
I was just looking through the accesory/options list for AB's Powerflex 4 VFDs and noticed they have a Remote or Panelmount speed control panel that uses Bluetooth to communicate back to the drive. Pretty fancy.

Are you saying that you CAN use the Omron Serial/Bluetooth adapter in the peripheral port by connecting the OMRON programming cable CS1W-CN226 to the PLC peripheral post and connecting the the blutooth adapter at the DB9 end of the OMRON cable?

That is how I read it.

Does the above arrangement support passthrough programming to the Serial port of the PLC for NS Touchscreens?

If the above is the case, no reason why not. A programming port is a programming port.

Hundikoer said:
Thanks paraffin power

But does USB-Bluetooth adapter create then virtual COM port for PC which is used by programing software?

Regards
Lauri

My problems with Mitsubishi are like Mits-programming software supports com ports up to 10 and Bluetooth goes to com11 (Because of other virtual com port program). XP did it again...?!?
Tmu

My problems with Mitsubishi are like Mits-programming software supports com ports up to 10 and Bluetooth goes to com11 (Because of other virtual com port program). XP did it again...?!?
Tmu

It should be quite easily modyfied in Device Manager. I remember I changed my USB-232 adapter to address Com1

Go into device manager and change it - not very hard.