Better Timers for A-B

Actually, it's time tracking I'm interested in...

My usual manner is as follows:

1. Track seconds with an RTO up to 60 (seconds)
2. Strobe a Counter with RTO/DN (Minutes)
3. Reset RTO with RTO/DN (Reset Seconds)
4. If CTR/DN is set, Reset CTR and RTO (Overflow)

Then I monitor the CTR.ACC to see my elapsed minutes :)

The thing is, this seems inelegant to me. If Micrologix timers could be set for more than 32000, I could just count seconds and divide by 60, but this is close to 8 hours, and we sometimes run ten or twelve.

Anybody know a better way?

There is a cheap and dirty method you can use if you are running an STI file. Put some simple logic to add the STI time base to a floating point register every scan while your 'timer' is enabled. For example, if your STI = 10msec, add 0.01 to your floating point register that will correspond to your accumulator. Perform an GEQ evaluation to control your 'done' bit.

If you want to work with minutes instead of seconds, then take your time base value and divide by 60 i.e. 10ms = .000166666 minutes. Add this value each scan.