Simotion

hokie

Does anyone have experience with the Siemens SIMOTION system for multi-axis motion control?
I would be curious to hear any feedback on ease of use, capability, etc...

thanks,

We were in discussion of using it, but:

Siemens will provide a special guidance crew to make it work (So aparently it's very complicated).When buying Simotion for the first time we could not order at our normal supplier but needed to order directly from Siemsns.

To use the full potential of the system you must use Siemens drives/motors etc. (My company works together with SEW).

The price was a little bit more expencive then our current motion controller (Adept). In our experience it is very hard to get the right person from inside Siemens to help you with "special" problems.

In the end we decided not to use the system but choose a cheaper and easier solution for our motion application. (SEW Movidrive with technology function extended bus positioning)

Hello.

I've worked with Siemens Simotion drives two years back. It's all very complex, and about 3000 parameters... As you probably know you can parametrize it with DriveMonitor. I was useing the basic positioner for my aplication. So I got the drive configuration from Siemens, but if I would have to set all those parameters my self I think I would have lost my mind.

The drive it self works fine and does it job realy well. Me and my father(boss) were realy surprised.It positioned +- 0.005 mm exact with max acceleration and max speed. With an spindle that has no backlash.

So basicly once you can control the positioning task throug drive monitor the hard part is over. Then programing in S7 comes in...

POSMOS on the other hand also ofer you the positioning tasks and are alot easyer to use and implemet in you Step 7 configuration. They have their own program to parametrize and control them. It's called SimoCom A.

Hope this helps... if you have any other questions, ask away :p

Regards
Ales