Modicon Concept Programming

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a project where I will be programming a Modicon 434 PLC. I had never even seen a Modicon PLC until a very short time ago. While waiting for my software to arrive, I've been using the trial version of Concept 2.5 that I downloaded from Schneider's website.

I've been in the automation business a little over 10 years now. I've programmed A/B's using A.P.S.,6200,RsLogix 5 and 500, and Controllogix. I've also programmed a large packaging system using telemechanique PL7.

So now, I have to learn Modicon. I am really discouraged after two weeks of playing around with the trail software. I am having a really hard time grasping the fact that I only have four registers. I am so used to programming with words (whatever the date type) and being able to manipulate the bits individually within those words.

Now on to my request. If someone here would care to share a program written Concept I would be forever grateful. I am hoping if I could see how someone else has structured a program, I MIGHT be able to get a grip on what I need to do.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff the modicon programming (ladder logic) is very simial to the old AB slc100's..It uses a traffic cop for I/O

0xxxx are all outputs (Internal as well as actual)
1xxxx are inputs
3xxxx are alanolg input
4xxxx are analog output as well as timers, counters, math etc..
Once you get the hang of it its not bad, I do find it easier than programming the lower end AB stuff (But thats just from usage i am sure) however it is no where near as good as control logix..

Good luck..Also check and make sure your customer uses concept..You would be suprised at the number of people who still use MODSOFT..an old dos based program..

D

Are you using 984 Ladder Logic? 984LL is the traditional Modicon language and has all of the restrictions of PLCs developed 20yrs ago. To access bits of words use the NBIT, RBIT, SBIT and other similar commands for the Quantum family.

Concept can aso use other languages which can use unlocated variable and other more modern features of PLCs such as full bit access of words. Actually the variable type "word" is restricted with the old Modicon limits, instead use type "integer".