More school?

BoxerBrats

Time for a dumb question

Since I am still out on disabilty, and only get to work 8 hours a week, and the rest of the time I get to sit here with my laptop sitting on my lapdoing PLC programming... I decided to go back to school and try for my electrical engineer degree. With hopes that I can work my way with the company to a upstairs postion, and do more advance type PLC programs. All my plc experience has came from books, and hands on experience.

Will getting my degree, help with getting more advace PLC type work? Or am i just hopefull wishing...

while getting your degree may not bring tons of projects your way, it certainly will add more $$ to your paycheck. Even so, more advanced projects will be easier for you to do with the education as opposed to without it...

It wont teach you to program but it will give you the background to teach yourself to be a better programmer.
Regards Alan

By all means.Education is never wasted.Over 30 years ago I started working on my BSEE degree and dropped out with only 6-7 Months left to go. I know stupid thing to do. Anyway I have enrolled for the Fall semester to begin the long process of finishing the darn thing. I would suggest taking additional studies of PLC/industrial electronics and even a little pc programming wouldn't hurt either. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Go for it

As many already know I am 52 and attending the University of Alabama in Birmingham. If its the last thing I ever do I will obtain my BSEE but I will not stop there, I plan to go for a Master's.

right now I am enrolled in the local community college, to knock out my general ed classes, then plan on transfering to californa university Chico (CSUC)

In my mind, there's nothing worse then being out on disabiliy and stuck in a non-productive situation. If you ask me daytime TV is spicifically designed to subtract 5 IQ points a day. Going to school is a good way to counter-act this effect.

I really hope so this MS has taken a toll on my spirit... my updays is when I am working on PLC program. Since I am reaching a end on the current project I really will be dragging without anything to do... sofigure I could sit in classroom just as easy as sitting in front of the tv. Plus hopefully work on my writing skills, so I can express myself better.

Education is always good.
Go for it, it will be worth it.

If you can swing it, a good project management course also tends to be a useful thing for any PLC programmer.

Last edited:
Education is always good.
Go for it, it will be worth it.

Here, here!! Particularly these days. Nearly all employers want a piece of paper. I am too old to bother (62 this year). Too busy to bother also.

I am an electrical fitter, started my apprenticeship in 1959 and have stumbled up the tree ever since. The best thing I ever did was go and work for myself. Have never been busier in my life.

By the way, I have certificates in electrical engineering (out of date now), business management, marketing management as well as a lot of certificates on temperature measurement, process control etc etc. Strangely enough, they never did me any good. My reputation is the thing that has carried me through. These day one requires a piece of paper to establish a reputation.

BoxerBrats,

By all means go for it, even if it just gets your mind off of the MS.

I do know what you mean. I'm unhirable because I have been diagnosed with terminal bone cancer. Being 57 doesn't help either.

I'm here to learn even if I never get a chance to use the knowledge. At least it helps keep my mind off the pain.

I've said too much.

Rod

actually if i could jump, i would be jumping for joy!!!!

I just got a call from a local contractor to help desighn a plc program on the side...

So curious what is the average rate per hour to do this type of work