never ask this while in a bar with a bunch of drive techs

ccoffey

what is an "igfet"
in regards to the 1336 ab drive, some of the questions ive asked in the classroom (just getting myself into trouble once again)

its an ot?

just bringing a little lighthearted conversation, i was reprimanded by the instructor when i said a field effect transitor

just bringing a little lighthearted conversation, i was reprimanded by the instructor when i said a field effect transitor

What do you mean the instructor chastised you?
You are a student and are paying him for his knowledge.
HE WORKS FOR YOU

Dan Bentler

What do you mean the instructor chastised you?
Most of them do no have a clue and are only academics. Many of the technical colleges in Ozz are now looking for part time "real" programmers who understand the "real" world. A step in the right direction.

Drives normally have IGBTs Insulated Gate Bi-polar Transistors IGFET is a general term that includes MOSFET Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors used in high frequency applications.

See, you shouldn't have asked.

No - you've got JFETs (Junction Field Effect Transistor) which apply the gate directly to a PN junction. The voltage enhances or depletes the channel much as the IGFET does but it is a direct connection. I'm not sure if the gate of MOSFETs (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) are insulated or not.

rdrast said:
MOSFET/VMOS/TMOS and similar devices are all insulated gate devices.
That is not a correct statement, maybe you should clarify. I would but I have to go to class.

Technically if it doesnt say insuolated....it aint.

Due to circumstances this will be my last post for awhile...keep up the good work.

MOS means metal oxide substrate. That is the material the solid state device is made with.

MOSFET is a FIELD EFFECT TRANSISTOR made with METAL OXIDE SUBSTRATE.

IGBT and IGFET are different types of transistors.

IGBT is an isolated gate BI-POLAR TRANSISTOR.

IGFET is an isolated gate FIELD EFFECT TRANSISTOR.