Light curtain as part profile checker

Rewozniak

R
Hi Guy's,

I am wondering about a light curtain type of device that cane be used to decipher one part from another. I am guessing that someone makes a segmented light transmitter/receiver that can decipher a part profile based on number of segments that are on or off as the respective part passes between the sensors. I am also assuming that this device would have some sort of digital to analog integrator/ convertor or serial communication device that would be used as an analog input or a an integer address. Then the plc program could be arranged so that Number xxxx would equal part "A" and number xoxo wouold equal part "B". If some one knows of such a device with a physical length of about 12 inches please let me know.

Thanks
Ross Wozniak

I have used BMRL4232A / BMEL 4232A with DeviceNet. Result from Banner's curtain was min and max eye positions.
They have model for RS232C where you can get 'bit-map' from eyes.