jumper 2 drives together

plcnewbie

Was wondering if there are any issues with chaining the enable jumpers of 2 like drives together. As in putting a go/no-go button inbetween them and then pushing it resulting in both drives not running.
So on my pflex4 the jumper from 1 to 11 is the enable jumper and I want to chain 2 of them through a go/no-go button.

Any issues with this??

Thanks

Check to see if the inputs are floating, ie; optically isolated. If they are, then one switch to two drives is ok. If not, or you aren't sure, then put two switch blocks on the switch and run one block to each drive.

There is a device called a 2 pole relay. Wire the buttons to turn the realy on and it in turn closes the 1 to 11 of each drive, together but seperately. Then there will be NO issues.

Even easier than the DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) relay Leadfoot mentioned is using two contact blocks on the single switch.

For starters it usually isn't a problem to have a single contact block cutting voltage to two coils. The problem on a VFD is they usually supply their own voltage and are looking for a dry contact. I think using two contact blocks or a relay is the safe way to go.

Yes, Guys I knew that part my whole problem was that I just cant find 2 of the same blocks and wanted to do this for a short time til I could order some others in. You see, we are in the process of redoing the parts room and stuff is literally everwhere which is why I wanted to use what I had sitting on my desk.

Thanks
I think I will just look for the right parts if I can get to them:eek:

If the drive inputs can be configured so they can be wired for remote DC potential [Sink or Source] control you can wire as many drives as you like with the enable input [or any other input you so desire].

You can use one switch to enable both drives. JUST MAKE SURE TO RUN A JUMPER WIRE TO HOOK BOTH DRIVE COMMONS TOGETHER. EX. 12 IS + 24 and term. 20 is the common for 24 VDC drive control. Tie both of the 20 terminals together.

Whatever you do, do not mix the supply from several sources together.
In other words, if the drive supplies +24V to a dry contact, then do NOT connect the two +24V from both drives together ! It could work, but it could also fail to work, and it could even cause the power supply to be damaged.
You CAN put the common together though.

So a solution could be to put the common together, only use the +24V from one drive, and return the enable signal from the switch to both drives.
Its not neat, but it will work.

edit:
Of course, if the drive that supplies the +24V is shut down, the other drive will be disabled.

Thanks jesper that is exactally what I wanted to do and what I had planned on doing I just wanted a second opinion. Although this is all mute now as I found two nc contacts to put on my pb.

Thanks all

Man I love this site!!!!!