SLC 504 DH-485 <> PC RS 232

Hundikoer

Hi guys

I visited today a customer who has SLC 504, which RS-232 is configured as DH-485. Can I connect this PLC to my PC using RS-232 port of PC? I and my collegue tried today several options, with and witout 1761AIC+ module etc. No success.
Can anyone suggest me a solution how to go online with that *******?

Regards
Lauri

The 1761-NET-AIC should have worked assuming you have RSLIinx properly configured, your cabling is correct, and you've provided a power supply to run the AIC+.

If you can get in via DH+ then you can change the CH0 protocol to DF1 and RSLinx will connect your PC serial port right to it with a crossover cable. If you can't, you can use a 1747-UIC (USB to DH485) to connect to CH0 running DH485.

Thanks for reply

I tersted it with MicroLogix prg cable and null modem cable (2-3, 3-2, 5-5). Also tried PIC and DF1 drivers no help. Or does the cable MUST be CP3 (I managed to lost mine)?

So if AIC module should be OK, what driver then must be used.

I and customer do not have time to wait or until 1747-UIC is deliverd (I do not have it)

you will need to use the PIC driver in RSLinx. The PC MUST have built in serial port for this to work.

Use the CP3 cable from PC to SLC

Thanks jjsohio

It is not very flexible solution from RS!!!
As I understand then AIC module is not needed.
Interesting, where I will find that PC with integrated RS232 port. Not going for shopping for that case. And it is rather timecritical issue (mostly for customer as we do not have any conract)

OK, Thanks again, I will have to start thinking (finally!)

I'm not sure how the PIC got involved here becuase it doesn't apply. From what I understand, you do not have a built in serial port on the PC? You have a USB serial port? Some of them do work with RSLinx.

How did you know that the 5/04 is set for DH485 and not DF1?

I got software file from customer (quite unusual).

But yes, I have a converter. But in Devicemanager it shows that it is like normal COM1

I would set it to something like com11. then go into rslinx and see if you can get a DF1 driver set to work with it. this will at least tell you that you can get the computer side working.

The 1747-UIC is a USB to RS484 communication adaptor. (It also has an RJ45 connector so you can throw away your PIC.)

But if you can't get through the Net AIC I'm not sure the UIC is going to do the trick for you either. There's some other obstacle.

Now Iam really confused.
Would'nt it be nice to have only Ethernet without any mess. Also DNet and CNet are ok compared to that. But it will take something like 20 years to have only open networks in factories.

Well, a Null-modem cable AND 1747-PIC driver in RSlinx *should* have worked for you. Make sure you STOP the DF1 driver and check to see if you have RSLinx Enterprise running in the background (RSLinxNG in Windows Process). If so, kill the RSLinxNG.

Laptop with *real* serial ports has been discussed quite a few time here before, do a search on it. For example, Dell D600 still got the serial port.

Here's a few old threads on similar issues, it seems the PIC driver will not work with a USB to serial coverter.

www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=16926
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=16849

Of course, if you do not care about saving the existing program in the PLC. You can just wipe the PLC to default setting and use DF1 driver.

harryting said:
Of course, if you do not care about saving the existing program in the PLC. You can just wipe the PLC to default setting and use DF1 driver.

Good point Harryting, the source file is available. If you take this approach, make sure the DF1 protocol is selected for CH0 before downloading.

Just finished job in customersite

The customer provided me laptop with docking station that had 232 port.
With 1747-PIC driver it worked perfectly.

Many thanks

Still, it remains for me unclear why use this DH485 instead DF1 if there is only PLC (1) and HMI (1) in the system? What's the idea?