PLC5 RIO limits

rprs258

Just wondering why I cannot set my Flex I/O ASB to rack 25.

I know 26 is reserved - checked the ASB using a different rack # - just not 25. No, 25 is not being used for anything else. And yes the processor has been mapped - to accept rack 25, group 0, starting 0, full rack.

Just trying to figure why rack 25 is a problem -- any similar issues and solution would be appreciated.

J Smith

From the RSLogix 5 Help file:

Valid addresses are 1-3 (octal) for PLC-5/20 processors,
3 (octal) for PLC-5/11 processors,
1-7 (octal) for PLC-5/30 processors,
1-17 (octal) for PLC-5/40 processors,
and 1-27 (octal) for PLC-5/60 and /80 processors.

That helped my rusty memory; I used mostly PLC-5/40's back in the day.

So, if you are using a 5/60 or 5/80 controller, you *should* be able to use rack 25 (octal).

How exactly does this failure manifest itself; does the Autoconfig fail to recognize the ASB, or does it just rack fault when you have it connected ?

Last edited:
Yep we have a 5/80 and the Autoconfig fails to recognize the ASB, and the rack faults when you manually set it up and connect.

If I assign the ASB to any other rack number, set the dip switches and set manual or autoconfig I have no problems - I therefore see no blue hose connection problem as it will "talk" at another adress.

Ok, I have to admit I have never setup a Flex to use such a high rack #. I quickly glanced the manual and did not see any reference to rack #26 being reserved by the system.

Can you setup any other device to Rack #25? Do they work? Lets see if it is a Rack 25 error or an ASB error!

What I would try next is to set it up as one rack higher and then one rack lower to see if those work (if those racks are available).

I know there was a mistake regarding the switch settings in previous manuals, have you double-checked the switch settings with the latest manual?

OG