S7 - Problems when using PLCSim with ProTool

RMA

I thought I'd start a new Thread for this, because it looks as though this might develop into something bigger.

Having set the MPI address correctly, I've managed to download a known sound version of my program looking at what's happening in general, it seems to be working OK.

However, when I look at the stuff that ProTool's involved with the picture gets a bit complicated. Functions attatched to buttons are sometimes, but not always being executed. Actually that's not quite clear - those functions which do work, seem always to work and vice versa. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which ones work and which don't. In particular it is definitely not the order that the functions are listed in (and execute in). For example the first function should set a bit in a DB to say that the Laptop has been logged on. This bit is only read by the PLC program, it is only set and reset from ProTool, but it is not being set (according to the VAT). However the next function which sets a different Bit in the same DB is evidently being set, because it causes a RESET program to run and I can see the effects of that.

The next function causes a jump to the next screen which does happen and given the time that everything takes to happen here that may explain why the last two functions don't work - because we're now in a new screen. I'll try moving the screen jump to the last instruction (with the PLC it wrks fine, though).

Next funny, observing the program flow in OB1, in the DB which holds the current screen number screen number 99 is showing up, although at present we're in screen 2 (we have been in screen 99 before this though).

I think that's enough to give a flavour of what's going on. I'd be interested to hear of anybody elses experiences of PLCSim, in particular in conjunction with big projects like this one and ProTool.

Update

I modified the order of the Function execution in the Button so that the screen jump was the last instruction to execute. However, it hasn't changed anything, the last two functions, one a Bit set one an INT value set, still don't work.

Edit:

By the way, talking about being patient, I just timed it after clicking on the Button to select a Module it took 40 seconds - that's right 40! - before the screen had completely updated! Maybe I am overloading the poor little laptop!

Last edited:
You may be running too many scripts and functions, posibly. I had that problem, and some of my tasks wouldn't complete.

I got your file also, but I only know low-german.lol

You may be running too many scripts and functions
I don't have any scripts running, but some of the buttons do have quite a few functions. On screens like the main selection screen "Rezeptur_1" there's also an enormous amount of detail updating to be done (that's where the 40 seconds went, not too surprisingly), so to some extent I can understand that. What puzzles me more is that on the "Start" screen which only has two Buttons and no updating other than the two enable signals, two of the six functions didn't execute.

I got your file also, but I only know low-german.lol

I assume that ProTool itself is running English Menus for you, or is that not the case? If so I'll have to get together with Jesper to do a translation list! :)

If you need any specific info or a more detailed description of how the plant/Program works, PM me.

PS The move to Array-Variables is turning out to be easier than I thought. Curiously enough in the end, I think it's actually going to be easier for somebody with little experience to follow than the Multiplex-Variable version!

Last edited: