OCR prints

panic mode

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here use any kind of OCR software for electrical diagrams? What is your experience? Even better, is there a service that I can fedex my load of printed drawings, pay with VISA and then take them from their FTP?

Do you want to simply convert your drawing to an electronics format (i.e. PDFs), or do you need them converted to an editable format (i.e. DWG, DXF, etc.)? With the OCR reference, it sounds like you want the second option. Can Kinkos actually do this, Ron?... :unsure:

🍻

-Eric

Panic,

Before you go to Kinko's-Fedex, make real sure that Visa card has a big limit. They can scan full size blueprints, but it's expensive, the files are super large and results vary.

Recently I had the great idea that we were going to digitize our archives for safekeeping and easer retreaval. It costs like $20.00+ to get a single sheet scanned. After a number of trys, it took something like 1,000+mb (not kb) to get a useable scan. The resulting file is so large that you cant really work with it without a CRAY Research Super-confuser.

Eric Nelson said:
Do you want to simply convert your drawing to an electronics format (i.e. PDFs), or do you need them converted to an editable format (i.e. DWG, DXF, etc.)? With the OCR reference, it sounds like you want the second option. Can Kinkos actually do this, Ron?... :unsure:

🍻

-Eric

I presume he's looking for an editable format, but I'm not sure that going to happen. He's going to get a few lines, some text and archs but for the most part it'll be pixel by pixel.

Kinko's can give you a jpg or Tiff. You take that file and try to convert it yourself.

thanx for replies everyone

i didn't know fedex owns kinko's...

this is only needed for occasional upgrade of equipment originaly done by someone else and when electronic copy of the drawings is no longer available (lost or files are not readable).

the most common size is 11x17 and the volume is 20-100 pages depending on a job.

i can scan them into TIFFs or JPGs myself, but I need them in editable CAD format (must be vector type document, not raster bitmap like TIFF etc.). this is why i mentioned OCR. since the output would have to be CAD file, i didn't even consider popular shops like kinkos...

Last edited:
When I was with Grace we used a local shop all the time to do reprints etc. I am not sure when Mike had Kinko's do it but I know they can do cad formats and pdf but it does cost more, when I used them it was not that expensive but all I needed at that time was large format paper copies.

I would talk to the local shops first and see what they can do and check out any local CAD shops, some of those offer services like digitizing copies.

You can google on "Vectorizer" or "Raster to Vector Conversion" and find a lot of software that can take in scans. One I've used is at http://www.rastervect.com/home.htm . It's not bad, but all of these programs will require a little to a lot of fixups to take a paper plot and turn it into an editable CAD format.

Then of course, you'll want a large format scanner (google that), or check out places like http://www.contex.com/scanners/overview/default.htm

20 to 100 11x17" pages? Woof!

About time to get with your local college and have the work farmed out to the students as 'home-work'.

It could happen.

I would be interested in this outcome.

Rod( had to shut down my Cray XMP4 - the fridge costs were too big)

panic mode said:
the most common size is 11x17 and the volume is 20-100 pages depending on a job.

i can scan them into TIFFs or JPGs myself, but I need them in editable CAD format (must be vector type document, not raster bitmap like TIFF etc.). this is why i mentioned OCR. since the output would have to be CAD file, i didn't even consider popular shops like kinkos...

If your getting 11x17 they must be somewhat recent, IOW already on CAD from somebody else's office?? Can the origionator give you a vector or better yet a DWG file?

If you can scan them yourself then you might want to look into a Raster to Vector converter application like this: http://www.csoft.com/index.cfm?menuid=103

There is a big difference in scanning and OCR
And yes we do offer this service!!!!

Drawings can be scanned in to make them portable:
just make a picture of every page thats all.
In the field they can be viewed and get comments,

OCR on diagrams is very tricky.
As the info on the page is only simple text and never in a datatable.

What program is used to make new drawings?
like Eplan or Autocad electrical, zuken, Elwin, stabicad, SEE.
Yes i can offer you to make this conversion, if the pictures are rather clear, make a picture with a good camera of them email it to [email protected] and you will receive them in email back as CAD file.
some questions, do you need the simple drawings in dwg format, or do you need the reports like terminal, cable, wiring lists etc.